Low Cost Replacement-Radiator Hoses - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 23-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Surrey
Low Cost Replacement-Radiator Hoses

I recently bought a ph2 2000 GTV TS and am going through a rather steep learning curve. I have removed half the contents of the engine bay to replace the Alternator & starter motors and while doing so found that the radiator & hoses were past their best (to put it mildly). I haven't been able to find any reasonably priced replacement hoses so I have fabricated my own using wire reinforced hoses that can be bent without twisting. This is a brief tutorial in case anyone wishes to do the same for the top & bottom hoses. I dont know how to attach photos to the body of the text so have attached them at the bottom.

you will need:
1m Rubber Reinforced Radiator House 22mm ID (Inner Diameter)
1m Rubber Reinforced Radiator House 35mm ID
3X Jubilee clips approx 30mm dia
6X Jubilee clips approx 45mm dia
1x Metal hose joiner OD 22mm
1X hacksaw

I ordered the hoses from here Wire Reinforced Rubber Hose - Rubber Hoses AP Motor Store and the total cost of the parts was approx 40

- Remove the top and bottom hoses. depending on the type of clamp you might need to chisel them off. I used a mini tool with a grinder attachment.
- The top hose is straightforward using 40 cm of 35mm ID hose. You will need a hacksaw to cut through the reinforcing wire on the new hose.
- The bottom hose consists of two 35mm ID sections connected to a plastic T-Piece that reduces to 22mm
- Remove the two 35mm ID hoses from the T-Piece by grinding off the metal straps. Be careful not to damage the plastic pipe underneath
- Replace with two lengths of the reinforced hose: 27cm and 19.5cm. Loosely attache the jubilee clips but allow the hoses to rotate for the time being
- For the top (reduced) section I chose to splice the new hose on to an existing section of hose rather than trying to find a reducer. I cut the old top hose approx 22cm from the T-piece, attached the metal connector then 28cm of new 22mmID hose. again I loosely attached jubilee clips to all joins.
- Now you need to test fit the bottom hose to get the right alignment (use the photo of the finished article below as the starting point). This is best done under the car and you will find that the new hose is much stiffer than the old one so start by fitting to the bottom of the radiator, then to the engine block. and finally to the coolant reservoir
- Once you are satisfied with the "fit" tighten all the jubilee clips- job done
PS if you are also looking to replace the heater hose the ID is 19mm

Last edited by sraouf; 19-10-14 at 08:39.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Bedfordshire
Excellent - good find. I managed to get a 2nd hand hose from Wayne_Dear
after I spotted that the air filter canister clamp had come free on my recent purchase and was wearing through the header tank hose - I will not doubt need some others in due course though so this stuff could fit the bill.

AO Member
County: Glasgow
Cpuld someone tell me where around the car is the oil pipe hose located so I can chrck for leaks before a purcahse? A picture would be nice thanks

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

cost , hoses , low , replacementradiator