Passenger door won't stay flush with the body? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 13-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
Passenger door won't stay flush with the body?

So I have been having to adjust my passenger door to make it flush with the body, this has always been a problem but I just copped it but it's a bit annoying now. I adjusted it a while ago and the gap was perfect, then I noticed after about 3-4 drives it was back to being 5mm proud of the body again. So I adjusted the striker again, and then the same problem, after 3-4 drives.

Just wondering what can cause this, is it possible that my door striker is stuffed? I ensure I crank it on hard always but it still creeps out. As far as I know the car hasn't been in any accidents and all the panel gaps are pretty good - so this is rather annoying.

On my local Alfa forum I was told that there is a bushing inside the door striker of an Alfa 75 and if that problem happens you have to replace the striker, is this true with the GTV? I do note there is a "collar" on the contact surface of the striker which can be moved - not sure if that is meant to happen, so could I be up for a door striker replacement?

Also just wondering if anyone that has adjusted this has run into any Bowden cable issues. The first time I adjusted it, the door went from an easy click and open to, after adjustment, a bit stiffer and the door would "pop" open. On the inside, the door would refuse to open if clicked to the first latch not the whole way. But on second adjustment I managed to make it work on the first click, with a bit of a push from the inside. Now it's not only not flush, but still doesn't work on the first click. I am probably the only person that's ever told their passenger to ensure they slam the door! (or else there is no escape..muahahaa).

Also, my drivers door has gone from nice and easy to open, to the whole "popping" thing I mentioned earlier, but without the panel gap issue.

Last edited by DAL32; 13-01-13 at 11:19.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Cornwall

Member car:

The collar does move but try to remember it will gradually turn so that the gaped toothed bit will sit on the edge of the striker so adjust the door in slightly more than it should be. I know you covered it but it needs to be tight to the body work or the opening and closing(slamming) will move it.

I used a fridge marker to draw round the striker to help get mine lined up better(so i could see where to move it too when opening and closing the door). You could draw round it when its correct then check it every few days to see if the striker has moved.....if so you need a new as perhaps(like the other Alfa forum mentioned) the grip has gone from inside the clamping plate. You could if this is the problem make a plate with a striker size hole to screw round it to stop it moving.

If the striker doesn't move from the marker pen outline it must be a lock problem.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

body , door , flush , passenger , stay