Leaky damper - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 03-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Greater London
Leaky damper

Got an MOT advisory that one of my dampers (shocks) was leaking. I assumed that would be a fail but seems not.

Don't really notice much change in the ride (3.0 v6) but now hear a single knock when going over rough parts of the road and certain speed bumps but not all.

Wondered if anyone knew what change in ride quality I should be feeling or is the v6 too heavy to bounce much. Also what the knock could be, maybe its the actual shock closing too much.

Car is on 100k with original suspension bar power flexed rear and front wishbones.

Happy 2013
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
Front or rear shocker?

Either way, the handling and ride quality of the car will gradually deteriorate as the shocker loses its pressure, but unless its completely shot, its unlikely to "knock". Knocks are more usually down to anti-roll bar bushes/links, or other wishbone bushes.
AO Member
County: East Sussex
i replaced my shocks just 2 weeks ago they where ok little bit of weepy. Found some koni's at a good price and wow it is like a different car not to bouncy on the front and so tight on the back. If you have to change i would go for the Koni's everyday
Global Mod Team
County: Suffolk
I've got the original shocks on the GTV - now on 170k miles and it is coming up 15 years old.

For the last 10 years each MOT has had an advisory on the rears - oil leak (mist trace). If you push down and let go it does not bounce. The bushes are fine. It is a bit of a challenge now to see just how long they will last.

By comparison the rear shocks went on the Spider and the handling became horrendous - if I pushed down it would bounce 1.5 times. Had them replaced of course.

If I push down and let go on all four corners of both cars they react the same - and that's with the new Spider rears.

I agree about the knocking - unlikely to be the shocks.

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Rules - AO Gallery - AO Classified adverts - AO Club - AO Traders
AO Silver Member
County: Hertfordshire
For such little cash and an easy job, I would change them asap. you will notice a difference.
(Post Link) post #6 of 7 Old 17-04-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Greater London
Been away for a while and had some tough GTV decisions but in the process of getting it all sorted soon and then will share some photos.

Wanted to update the thread on the knocking sound I reported in case it helps someone, jacked up the car and quickly noticed the rear rubber exhaust mount that hold the rear part of the exhaust up had perished (split in half) so allowed the exhaust to move up and down causing the knocking sound.

Thanks for the replies, Will look into Koni for the rear and maybe fit them myself :O

PaulR - 170k!! - Speechless
AO Member
County: Greater Manchester
I fitted some KYB gas shocks as direct replacements on the rear, four stubborn bolts but done! The shocks that came off was nearside (mist) but pushed down on this and it just 'stopped' that would have been what the chaotic swing to the side would have been and then it started to leak so just in time and was advisory last oct. Offside, slightly misty but pushed down and slow repositioned so not faulty yet but either way = bin.
Took for a test, smooth and no more ride chaos, fairly easy job!
Noticed the bush that it sits on the suspension arm to be not great but either end fine. It hasn't been polybushed as it would seem a lot of work. Q. Do you need a press machine to pop these out? How do you replace them?
Cheers all

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

damper , leaky