Rear suspension ALERT!! (maybe...) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 17-06-05 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Durham
Warning Rear suspension ALERT!! (maybe...)

Dunno if this has been brought up before but......
Came across an "interesting" little fault that has the potential to develop unnoticed with rather unpleasant consequences.
Today I had to deliver a rear subframe for an Alfa Spider ('99 car) to a local garage. I assumed that the car must have swiped a kerb or something, damaging the frame. No! This car had suffered wear in the inboard bushes in the leading transverse links (not the spring seat arms). This wear had allowed the arm to rub on the flanges it bolted between. It almost wore through one side, to the extent that when the guy changing the arms thought " I'll try to fit that...",snapped off the flange when the through bolt got a relatively small torque applied (a blessing in many respects in view of what could have happened)! The car was then, naturally in need of a new subframe. The frame costs (PLEASE SIT DOWN) around 700! This was only spotted at MOT. The owner of the car reported no adverse handling or riding of the car (I know some folk potter around and would have difficulty noticing a puncture). The bushes have recently been upgraded, so this is obviously a known problem. Is it a common one? Imagine what would have happened if he'd hit a pothole mid corner at speed!

It may be an isolated case. It may be poor maintenance didn't bring it to light sooner. Certainly one to watch for!

Yet another case of problems arising due to poorly chosen rubber compounds in Alfa Romeo suspension components!
Sponsored Links
Re: Rear suspension ALERT!! (maybe...)

Afraid this is a very well known problem and the reason many people fit Powerflex bushes to the rear of their Spiders and GTVs.

AO Member

Recently replaced mine too....busehes had a bit of play in them so replaced before they started to chew into metal

Worth cost and labour.

Just wished the damn electrics were that easy

Member car:

alfa spider 1998

Apologies if this is a stupid post.. but I am not too mechanically minded.
How do i tell if my bushes are original rubber or not.. is it an easy check or do i have to take the car to my useless dealership?
AO Silver Member
County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

a very dirty car

I`m sure I will be corrected if wrong but if you have rubber they will be black. If you have powerflex (and I `don`t know of any other company?) they will be bright yellow or bright purple.

Polyurathane also has a slightly oily, slippy feel to it, unlike rubber which has high friction on the fingertips.
AO Platinum Member

How can a mere mortal check his bush?

Ralf S.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

alert , rear , suspension