GTV handbrake blues - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 13-11-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
GTV handbrake blues

I've been plagued by a sticky handbrake mechanism on my rear (to state the bleedin' obvious) RHS caliper, and I suspect - and been told - that it's caused premature failure of my wheel bearing. Car is a 1999 2.0. I've got a new bearing ready to fit but I'm loathe to fit it if the caliper is going to stick and cause bearing failure again. My question is, how does the handbrake bit work inside the caliper and can the caliper be stripped down easily to fix it. Or should I just replace the sodding thing?
Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Medio
Club Member Number: 1265
County: Waikato

Member car:

Gtv V6

I've never had a caliper internal problem - it's always been the cable at fault (not returning properly).

As for the wheel bearing, could be true but could be a red herring! yep, I had to replace those at 85,000km so it's perfectly possible for the bearing to 'fail prematurely' with nothing to do with the brakes.

AO Gold Member
County: Kent
If it is the calliper, replace it mate. The workings of the rear calliper is a lot more complex than most people realise. Either find a good second hand one or splash the cash and go new
AO Silver Member
County: Cardiff
my gtv v6 had 2 rear caliper failures in the first 4 years. not my cost thankfully but my big box of historic reciepts shows the first one on the 3 year service/1st mot. made a healthy dent in someones pockets as it was about a £2k bill all in all.
AO Silver Member
County: Hertfordshire
Have a look at the spring on caliper that allows the hand brake to move on and off, it might be weak, not allowing the brake to free up. It could also be the caliper needs new seals and a clean up. If you look underneath you can see the spring, it will be stretched when the hand brake is on, when it is off, the spring should be closed and the lever on the caliper should sit against the rest position.
(Post Link) post #6 of 6 Old 14-11-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
Thanks fellas. I'm going to try and free it up a bit when I put the bearing on, and if it looks like it needs replacing I'll just avoid using the handbrake until I get the replacement, just in case. Bearing replacement is priority at the moment.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

blues , gtv , handbrake