Help!...Spider Roof Leaking where Roof meet Windscreen - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 04-11-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Greater London

Member car:

Audi A8

Crazed Help!...Spider Roof Leaking where Roof meet Windscreen

Hi there,

Our '98 PH1 Spider is leaking like crazy at the moment with 2 inches of water in the drivers side footwell.

I have read most threads on here i think but very few have a definitive answer to solve it. I believe i can rule out the water coming in from the wiper area under the scuttle in the engine bay.

THis is more for reference for others but this is what i found when i cleared out the engine bay area...

Alfa Romeo Spider Scuttle Clearing - YouTube

This is what came out of it:

As it was raining heavily today, i went and sat in the Spider today for about 30 mins to see where it was coming from. Essentially, i can see the water dropping on to the front seat and eventually making its way into the footwell. Whilst the passenger side wasn't an issue until today, as i was sat in it, it started to leak so i caught it on video....take a look:

Leaking Alfa Romeo Spider Roof - YouTube

Inspecting the top of the rubber seals where the roof meets the window, you can see a slight gap:

Has anyone been able to fix this by any chance? I am desperate as the Spider lives outside year round and I have no garage.

1998 Ph1 TS Spider, red, black leather interior
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Kent

Member car:

Hi Oli,

I'd recommend buying a car cover if your going to leave your Spider outside, I bought my 1 from halfords its medium in size, i think!

Whilst your there pick up some back to black and use it on the rubbers, it helps stop the water getting past the seals.

If your problem persists you will need to adjust some thing.

Let us know how you get on.

AO Member
County: North Yorkshire
Silicone grease has been good on the seals of convertible and targa cars I've owned, probably the same stuff as back to black.
AO Silver Member
County: Hertfordshire
What about trying some black window sealant along the section where you think the water is getting through.
AO Member
County: Bedfordshire
I have had some success with black guttering mastic on the VW - used it on the windscreen
seal in the corners that are famed for leaking on that model. It's as sticky as the stuff that sticks really well to blankets and doesn't seems to 'set' as hard as silicone. Use with care..

AO Silver Member
County: East Sussex
The roof has a fair amount of adjustment. The hooks that close the roof at the front are adjustable as are the back arrow shaped catches that drop into the holes of the rear cover.Use a little thought when adjusting because you could over tighten the hood which can cause the inner hood layer to start to tear which eventually causes a sagging rear window.Perhaps undo a turn at the rear for each turn you adjust at the front.The adjustment available is tremendous dont get carried away.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

helpspider , leaking , meet , roof , windscreen