Electrics - any ideas? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 23-10-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Greater London
Electrics - any ideas?

Got in to start my phase 1 at the weekend - no electric windows, no side, head, main beam lights and the ABS & Brake Fluid warning lights stay on.
I checked the workshop manual and it looked like Fuse no.4 needed changing. But, it was fine as was every other fuse (checked them all).
Looking at the fuse box diagram, it seemed that one of the relays might be the problem as it fed all fuses controlling what was not working.
Before buying a new relay, I swapped it with another relay with exact same spec and reference numbers. Sadly, no difference.

So, unless I have overlooked something basic, the problem is neither the fuse nor the relay. I just fear that this is going to turn into a lengthy investigation of trial & error to find out what the problem is. I really do not want to get into messing about with the ignition and all that entails.

Any ideas/advice? Thanks.

PS: I bought a 2006 147 2.0 twinny off EBay 3 weeks back. Previous Category C write off but with 25k genuine miles and one previous owner. Good price and am slowly bringing it up to Alfisti standard. Driving a higher car with 4 doors is certainly practical but I now realise I've been spoilt by the 916's roadholding over the last 14 years!
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Bristol

Member car:

GTV v6

I've not got a lot of practical experience in dealing with car electrics (thankfully I've never had to sort it out) - so perhaps someone else can offer better advice. However, I know enough about electronics to tell you how I'd go about figuring it out.

Before you go down the route of buying lots of parts and swapping them over you need to figure out some quick and easy tests to pin point where the faults are residing. I'd do this by making up some simple test gear. You can easily dismantle an old relay and wire up a lead onto it so you can use a multimeter to check if you are getting power to the right pins. This will allow you to plug it into any socket and test that socket is working. If it's not, then trace the circuit and wiring back and figure out a way to test it from there.

You can find an earth easily on a car so just tether the negative lead of the multimeter to somewhere you can get a good contact and go probing with the positive lead.
AO Silver Member
County: Hampshire

Member car:

GTV twinspark

^^ Pretty much, but also check you are looking at the correct year and in the Right Hand Drive supplement. There are subtle differences in the layout of fuses and relays which could be leading you up the wrong path.
AO Silver Member
County: Cheshire
Look at the back of the fusebox. Have you dislodged a wire?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

electrics , ideas