Wheel Bearing? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 19-10-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Bedfordshire

Member car:

2.0 TS GTV

Wheel Bearing?

Ok so I've had a droning noise start up over the last few months, I've been trying to ignore it due to lack of funds but it's now got to the point where something has to be done.

It starts at about 20mph and gets louder as the car goes faster until at 60-70 it's loud enough I cant hear my passenger talk and it's starting to drive me nuts.

It does not change going round corners that I can tell. It's definately coming from the passenger side and my GF reliably informs me it's coming from the back wheel area.

Definately wheel bearing? (I had a feel for '50p's on the tyre but either I dunno what I'm looking for or they are not there...)

-Along your favourite roads an Alfa Romeo GTV will worm its way into your affections, you too will become infected with virus Alfa Romeo and I am afraid there is little chance of a cure...
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Kildare
Make sure you eliminate the tyres before you go removing the wheel bearings. Check for inside edge tyre wear (not uncommon). I had similar problem which i cured by replacing rear tyres. Good luck.
AO Silver Member
Lift the wheel and rotate it by hand. You should be then able to detect a bad bearing and which wheel it is.
AO Gold Member
County: Kent
I have a similar noise on the front of mine. Gets loud at about 40 mph and goes quiet again at about 60.

It's worse when I steer left.

I jacked the car up but couldn't feel or hear anything. I am convinced it is the bearing though and for the sake of 20 in parts, it's my next winter job.
AO Member
County: Northumberland

Member car:

I had same problem swop front and rear tyre to check its not the tyre. I changed the bearing first only for noise still to be there. Swopped tyre and the noise went to front but is not as bad.
AO Member
County: Hants

Member car:

GT...Golf GT

As PKR mentioned, a defective rear wheel bearing is easy to detect with the wheel lifted from the ground.

I changed both rear bearings on my GTV earlier this year as a precaution, it took less than an hour to do both and is one of the easiest jobs to do on a 916....the retaining nut has a ridiculously high torque figure though and I ended up borrowing an industrial wrench from the fork lift truck centre next door to get it right, though I suspect a bit of scaffold pole normally suffices.

The front bearings are a different story though as a press is normally required, I done one on my 155 years ago and it was hard work...someone agreed to change both for me on the GTV for 75 after consulting the book time in his manual, it ended up taking most of the day as I thought it might
(Post Link) post #7 of 9 Old 22-10-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

2.0 TS GTV

Well after a trip to autolusso (Is it bad if you walk in and immediately you get 'Alright chris what's up with the GTV now?' and the guys in the second hand department recognise my voice on the phone?) I debated getting a second hand entire hub but after looking at how much work that would be I decided to get the new wheel bearing.

Really easy to do, I think possibly the reason it failed was that the wheel nut was.. well not tight, socket tight but not socket and extension bar tight.

Now the 'REALLY' loud noise has gone I can hear the 'Washing machine on high spin' noise coming from the front. Another wheel bearing ?

(After that I just have to sort out the guy with the hammer that's banging on my suspension when I'm turning right, the ducks in my steering wheel and the squeaky seatbelt that keeps squeaking despite being oiled to within an inch of it's life!)
AO Member
County: Essex

Member car:

I had a similar noise coming from the rear end (ohh er!) which Autolusso diagnosed as one of the rear tyres being out of shape. Two new rear tyres and a four wheel alignment sorted it out a treat. It's made a huge difference.
AO Member
County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

GT 1.9 JTDm

Originally Posted by pkr View Post
Lift the wheel and rotate it by hand. You should be then able to detect a bad bearing and which wheel it is.
When my rear wheel bearing went, I couldn't tell by rotating the wheel, or even just the disc. Once both were off, it was more obvious: turning the hub by hand it felt very rough.

The old bearing didn't actually look that bad when off, no obvious scoring or pitting. The new one cured all problems, though. I might have got away with re-packing the old one with grease, but it seemed like a fools errand not to change it when I had the new one in my hand.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

bearing , wheel