The vinyl covering on my headlining was sagging, it started slowly, but soon accelerated until there was only a small patch in the center stuck on.
Theres a few threads on here about it, but not much info.
Removing the headlining was straightforward, the "pine tree" clips on the rear have a good hold and will break but the leverage required will also damage the backing board, so I`d advise snipping the heads off. Then there's screws holding the grab handle and covers on the drivers side, the sun blinds, inside the light cluster and 2 bolts under the A pillar covers.
Then theres a line of velcro along the middle holding it to the roof. Its good stuff, so you need a little oomph
Threads on here suggest its hard to remove the headlining from the car, but I found moving both seats back as far as possible and then reclining them, it was fairly straightforward, bar a little manoeuvring around the gear stick.
The vinyl cover is easy to remove because the foam backing has disintegrated, the remnants of foam left on the backing board are a little more troublesome, but I found a "green pan scouring sponge" got most of it off. Then some 120 grade sandpaper to flatten it off. But not too hard as there's a layer of paper? over the board.
The backing board is made of compressed fabric fibres, but several sections had split or gone soft. I repaired these with pva/water and paper. The pva/water soaks into the fibres and dries quite hard.
Despite sanding, it still felt dusty so I coated the whole thing in PU varnish. In retrospect I`d have used pva/water as the varnish just disappeared into the board and consumed a large amount, and took ages to dry...
I decided to go with black fabric, rather than the grey original, mainly because I managed to get some black sun blinds and grab handle from Brad Pitt (99)
I found 2 likely sources, Car trimming & supplies, trade & public material sales.
and AS Trim, Upholstery and Fabric Specialists
(also on ebay) In the end I got 2m of fabric and 2 cans of adhesive from as-trim, they only list 3m lengths, but if you email them they will quote for less.
I didnt even finish one can of glue, so I`m not sure 2 are required.
From googling it seems a good method of sticking the fabric down is to fold the material in half and lay it onto the board, spray glue on half the board and half of the fabric facing up.
This mostly worked, its not hard, but the opportunities for an irreversible ****-up are many if you dont pay attention! The glue is very sticky and you need to keep a little tension in the fabric to stop it creasing. Once it creases its almost impossible to undo.
The bits that need the most attention are the recesses where the grab handles are, you need some tension to stop it creasing and also some slack to allow it to follow the contours!
A little plastic roller is handy for getting the tight creases into the folds.
Once the top side is done, turn it over trim the fabric to give a couple of inches of overlap and glue the edges down. Some razor blades are really handy for trimming and cutting chunks out to make it fit. They go blunt really quick though.
I managed to get a couple of small creases, they are not massively obvious though, and generally it looks and feels good. Much nicer than the vinyl.
I am waiting for some "pine tree" clips to re-fit it, the holes in the roof are 8mm but the first lot of clips that "fit an 8mm hole" indeed do fit, but are so loose they are useless..
A few extra pics : https://plus.google.com/photos/11564...JruueWu7dSFjQE