My 2002 GTV Phase II 3.0 sound like a subaru - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 22-09-12 Thread Starter

Member car:

2002 3.0 gtv

My 2002 GTV Phase II 3.0 sound like a subaru

a very well maintained and a sweet ride..up until a two weeks ago. it started with a strange vibration,ever so slight, at above 4K rpm and under load.I know this motor very well so knew something was not right. (slightly down on power). This was also intermittent. Then the the car started to idle a lumpy.. also intermittently. and then...oh horror ! it would not rev ,sounded like a subaru. (no misfire sounds more like fuel starvation to me) put foot flat ,lights up like a scalded cat at 4K rpm plus. Motor will rev and pick up as normal under zero load. Another interesting thing is when you first start the car it runs normally for about 5 mins (hot or cold) So... checked all the wiring.checked all the relays,checked the plugs (brand new items) checked the coil-packs, checked all the pipe work, the induction system is as clean as a whistle.Had an Autodelta high-volume air-filter in the car for 18 months now. Throttle-body was spotless,even had a look at the throttle body actuator mechanicals clean and operational. Put the care on diagnostics..traced on fault (code key..this has in the past prevented me from starting the car but cleared itself a while back.0 this was reset. No other fault shown..I do know that a faulty MAF does not always show up as a fault. Decide to buy a MAF (Bosch). Ran all the usual reset procedures (throttle and ECU) The car is still exactly the same. Start it and it will run very well for 5 minutes and then sound like a subaru (sound like running on three < firing on all six tho>).
Before i go the lamda route i would love to hear from any member who has a possible solution. I have spend 600 pounds already and still have a pristine well maintained 60k car that does not go....
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Oxfordshire

Member car:

Spider 916

The easiest way I know of making a V6 sound like a rorty V8 is to take a plug lead off. When it is misbehaving, see which exhaust manifold pipe is the cooler one. Use a piece of wet rag or ideally a non contact IR thermometer. Then it's down to substitution of plug, lead, coil pack, etc. to see which one the problem moves with. Sounds like an intermittent ignition something.
Good luck.
AO Silver Member
County: Hampshire

Member car:

GTV twinspark

That does sound like a lambda, especially as it only does it when warm and at low revs. It should flag errors though, what diagnostics were used?

You most likely have 4 lambdas so you really need a hint at which one you need to replace.
AO Silver Member
County: Warwickshire
My son's car ran like that after it had had new front pipes fitted. The lambda connections had been mixed up.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

2002 , gtv , maf or lambda , misfire or hesitation , phase , reset , sound , subaru