Advice on Rust!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 04-09-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Surrey
Help Advice on Rust!!

Hey all.
I've been reading various threads and keep hearing horror stories on rust on cars so I decided to have a sneaky peak under mine and found some of the soul destroying stuff (pictures below).
It's only on the drivers side of the car and seems to run all the way along from front to back. I tried pushing using up against it quite hard and nothing seemed to give/I've/break/flex so hopefully it shouldn't be a big task or an expensive on?

The issue is I have no idea how severe it is or how to cure the problem, I've heard various snippets on what other people did but no in depth instructions on what I need to do. I really want to get it sorted by winter to stop it getting much worse.

Cheers in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_000004.jpg (63.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg WP_000008.jpg (29.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg WP_000009.jpg (26.0 KB, 13 views)
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Hampshire

Member car:

GTV twinspark

If you want to do a proper job, spend a few bob at or and get some 3125 and 4941. Get a wire brush in a drill and take the old underseal back to good metal, and then remove as much surface rust as you can.

Dinitrol do a rust convertor, but its hugely expensive, you could use something like jenolite or granville, theres a hammerite branded kurust in halfrauds, et al, thats a green gloop, probably natural-eco-friendly-not-tested-on-polar-bears, but it certainly does **** all to rust!

The 3125 will bond onto any rust, but probably worth "converting" any surface rust.

The 4941 goes on top once the 3125 has dried and gives a rubbery extra layer.

Looking at the extent of the rust, I would suspect its coming from inside the sills! So in addition to doing the outside, get an extension nozzle like : Extension Hose (60cm) | Frost Auto Restoration Techniques (some of the packs on ebay come with this) take the plastic sill covers off and give the insides of the sills from front to back and over the rear arches (via the boot) a good squirt of either 3125 or they also do some ML Cavity wax which is runnier and will seep into seams more than 3125.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

advice , gtv , rust