Wheel bearings are driving me mad - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 28-08-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Lincolnshire
Wheel bearings are driving me mad

My 2000 gtv TS has a noisy wheel bearing and so i thought i would tackle myself, So after road testing to discern what bearing i thought it was by the steering and trying to find when the noise went away/ lessened.
Having found that when i steered to the right it went quieter that it must be the right had to be the right hand side bearing i decided that it sounded like the front bearing and when after replacing that bearing i took it for a drive and it was exactly the same i reasoned that it must be the rear and after replacing that one after getting a shock at the price found no difference i am now reluctant to shell out for another bearing without being certain as to the correct bearing and after replacing the bearing using what i thought was a tried and tested way of finding the correct side then i would like to just ask any of you guys and girls out there if there is another way i might try?
By the way i swapped the wheels front to back on both sides to see if it was the tyres.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: New South Wales

Member car:

2001 Spider

if you jack up each wheel in turn and roll the wheel round and listen and then rock the wheel North South then East West to feel the bearings you should find the one that is bad.
AO Member
County: Lancashire

Member car:

Having found that when i steered to the right it went quieter
In my experience this means it's a left-hand bearing as they go quieter when under load and noisier when not, you can generally tell by ear whether it's front or back but jon's advice is good and should make sure you can find it.

My only other thought is how bad is it? If it's only minor, could it be a tyre related thing (do a search for '50p shaped tyres'!)? If you've got P6000s on it, they're really droney at about 40 mph (must change mine!). Good luck
AO Silver Member
County: Somerset
Been suffering with what sounded like a wheel bearing on my V6, quieter when steering left, louder right.

Both front bearings changed 20k miles ago.

Turned out to be the disc "guard" slightly rubbing on the ball joint as suspension moved. Garage bent the guard away from ball joint and now it rubs on the disc itself !!!!

Every time I go to investigate its been raining and everything its dry I've got other things to do!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

bearings , driving , mad , wheel