GTV P2 V6 Project... Story so far... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 25-08-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -
GTV P2 V6 Project... Story so far...

This thread would be much nicer if I could embed images, why won't it let me?

Anyway.... So I bought a P2 V6 GTV on a whim... At 870 with a full mot, the red style interior and a set of 17" teledials who could resist?

Here we are:

This was last Saturday morning, around 7.00 a.m. when I was browsing eBay in bed!

Collected the next day, drove home and all was good bar the fact the fact that the fuel cap hinge had snapped, it had been very badly keyed (see pics above), dent in the rear quarter and it was generally looking sorry for itself. It also steered to the left abit. Good points was that it felt mechanically robust and the brakes, temperature etc was all good. It had some choice mods inside, including a broken Parrot bluetooth kit and some sort of telemetry nav system which was still working but the touch screen was broken.

The last owner had it since 2002 and the car has only done 53,000 miles so I thought it was the perfect basis for a quick project.

I spent some time on it this week, first of all repairing the broken fuel cap hinge by drilling some holes in it and bonding/bracing it up. It's got one of those Zender caps on it which are very heavy and I think the strain caused the break. The cap is not to my taste and will be gone as soon as I source a silver cap to replace it with, but it will do for now!

Next thing I did was rip out all the excess wiring for the Parrot kit and the nav thing. A good job well done, there was bloody loads of wires!

After that, down to my good friends body shop to be prepped and painted to get rid of the (extremely deep) key marks... I also had the rear bumper painted as well since it was scratched up.

Results are great, the colour match is spot on! Win!

Next up were some new badges, see pic for old/new:

Along with a fresh set of dealer plates as the old ones were both cracked, this was 10 mins which basically transformed the car!

I got some basecoat in an aerosol and gave the lower front bumper a light dusting too to get rid of the black areas as visible on the auction pics above so she is looking alot tidier already.

Today I have just had full 4 wheel camber/caster/toe tracking done which ironed out the dodgy steering. Suspension, bushes all good so will be left for now

Pic here:

Next job on the list is basically a full machine polish and very thorough valet.

I also need to sort out the indicator stalk as it feels a bit vague. It does return though. Any advice on this appreciated!

There is some kind of idler pulley sounding whine as well which I need to check out, it sort of squeals on start up for an instant which I am hoping is aux and not timing belt related. I am going to take it to intaservices for them to have a look at next week.

Follow my thread for updates if you are interested, thanks for reading!

98 GTV 3.0 V6 P2

GTV 3.0 V6 Aero P2
156 SP2 2.0 Twin Spark
147 2.0 TS Lusso

"Back off man, I'm a scientist" - Dr. Peter Venkman
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Surrey
Nice, you don't hang around do you! If you don't mind me asking how much were the badges, need new ones front a rear for my car which is still in pieces on the drive.
(Post Link) post #3 of 8 Old 25-08-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
Well I am an impatient guy! Ha ha.

The badges were around 52 including vat for both but I did get a bit of discount as my mum works for the dealership I think they are like 25-28 list ex vat.

Hope this helps!
AO Member
County: Suffolk

Member car:

2000 V6

Good job Sounds like you took a punt and have ended up with a bargain!

53K, teledials, V6 with red style.....for less than a grand.....I'm jealous!
(Post Link) post #5 of 8 Old 25-08-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
Thanks Murs, you have to take a gamble sometimes I suppose, it could have been a total shed. Also it's not without hard work, even though most of the jobs needed are fairly straight forward!

I forgot to mention earlier, the auction says there is no service history and the stereo is broken. It was a simple case of re-entering the code to get the stereo working, and there was loads of history and all the manuals etc in the boot which was a nice find
The indicator stalk is a fairly easy fix remove the indcator wiper assy
Drill out the two brass rivets carefully remove the cover you have to unhook it.
Yiu will see a white plastic bar that runs diagonaly across the central assy you will probably find the spring is broken in half or missing.
Trip to maplins and a box with various springs in it had one to do the job just shortened it with a pair of wire cutters reassemble and put a couple of m4 bolts nuts to replace the rivets may take a couple of attempts to get the feel want hope this helps fella
(Post Link) post #7 of 8 Old 26-08-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
Cheers reveds! I take it it's a steering wheel off job?

Might have a crack on Monday if I get time :-)
(Post Link) post #8 of 8 Old 29-08-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
Right. I am quite anal. And I like to do small easy jobs.

My task for tonight was to clean my 'orrible grubby front overmats, and attempt to bring back the GTV logos to their former white/silver glory...

I'm pleased to say it was fairly successful as I actually thought they'd be properly stained!

Here's a before and after:

Mid scrub with a bit of washing powder and warm water:

After a quick lick over with the missus's prized steam mop:

And back in the car, looking much more pleasing to the eye:

(I can't believe I am actually doing a write up on cleaning a set of matts ha ha )

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

gtv , project , story