Suspend Belief - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 14-05-05 Thread Starter
Global Mod Team
County: Suffolk
Suspend Belief

I have owned my 1998 phase 2 GTV TS since March this year. I first noticed that the inside tread wear of the front wheels was a little excessive. After reading these forums, and having a lifelong predeliction for things mechanical, instantly diagnosed suspension bush wear and ordered, online, new lower swing arms - total cost (incl postage) 80 - seems reasonable to me. Did have a thought that hmmm - maybe tracking - so had it done. Erm - since then no probs - what the hell - when I do need the arms - there they will be.

Over the last few weeks I have noticed a clunking from the rear suspension. A bit odd as it is not constant and only occurs on minor undulations in the road surface - not always on larger potholes etc.
Obviously I now think polybush and 10 ton bench presses. As an aside in various magazines you can find such presses for 150 - tempting?

Anyway this weekend I decided to have good look but before I had the chance my wife 'phoned 10 mins after leaving home - her 147 had run out of petrol. Having a spare plastic can in the boot of said GTV off I drove and delivered fuel - feeling very smug - "you shouldn't run out, but if you do have spare can etc" and off I drove.

On the way home I thought what's different - yes no clunks - why?
Answer - I had left plastic can with Liz and 147. Yep - the noise had been the bloody can bouncing around in the boot.

Smug - me?

Sponsored Links
Re: Suspend Belief

LOL...great first post, just proving that we can all get it wrong....most of the time in my case

Welcome to the forum Paul, hope you stick around

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

belief , suspend