The car is bolted up again and done. Final pic I took after I put the cambelt on, the observent will notice I didn't bother lining at the belt with the marks but relied on the DTI and the locks. On the balance belt I did use the marks on the new belt I purchased to ensure it was all in line.
So I replaced, the cambelt, tensioner (you can see it's now a metal one in the picture), the associated idler, I replaced the balance belt but not the balance tensioner, I replaced the variator and both inlet and exhaust oil seals and the rocker oil seal, I replaced the waterpump but that was unnecessary the one I took off was fine, finally I replaced the aux belt that was was cracked.
My thoughts on difficulty is that it it's basically relatively straight forward with all the right tools and taking your time. I took quite a while over it as I haven't done a cambelt before and was also cleaning everything as I went along and double checking.
A general summary of what I did
1) remove the wheel, and small cover to access the crank pulley
2) removel aux belt, pulley, idler bearing then remove the engine covers.
3) remove balance belt, remove belt pulley
4) remove top cover (silver), coil packs sparks, remove rocker cover
5) fit DTI rotate engine to TDC
5) remove caps and fit locks - make sure you know which caps came off where.
6) release tension then remove belt
7) remove camshaft pulleys (use tools to hold them). Be careful not to damage the cam sensor on the exhaust pulley when removing.
8) remove alloy end cover - you'll need to unbolt the cam position sensor on the exhaust side to do this, remove inlet shaft - again remember which cap goes where when you remove them.
9) remove variator, hold in vice VERY TIGHT - I used wood blocks to stop damage to the shaft, use LOTS of power to get it off (use tool) - heat may be required
10) refit variator with a bit of blue loctite
11) swap out waterpump - having emptied coolant into a bucket earlier, use a bit of liquid gasket around the pump
12) pop the shaft back in, ensure the lobe is pointing backwards on number 1, fit all caps except the 2nd one which controls float, tighten down a bit so the shaft is stil floating, pop on 2nd cam and ensure it locates properly then tighten down to correct torque
13) refit the alloy cover which a bit of gasket sealant, put new seals on and push home - this can be a bugger
14) refit the cam sensor then put your pulleys back on, leave them loose
15) reposition the inlet cam and lock in place with your cam locks
16) replace the tensioner and idler bearing.
17) check your crank is at TDC and then refit the belt
18) tension to maximum tension (use tool) - I bought a tool from totally alfa but it was wrong, too small, they now sell a bigger version. I used a pin and a pry bar to push against the pin and tensioner.
19) hold the cam pulleys (use tools) and tighten to specifed torque
20) turn over engine twice, refit locks and check tdc/cams in correct place.
21) release tensioner then tension to recommended position - pointer at hole
22) next up refit the balance belt pulley then the belt, I used a new belt which had alignment marks making it straightforward if a little awkward. Balance shafts basically point upwards while crank at tdc. They are marked so you line up the marks on the belt with the marks on the shaft and crank while at tdc.
23) tension the balance belt, pointer in middle (use tool) - this tool worked
24) refit covers and the large idler bearing.
25) refit aux belt - automatic tension so nothing to set
26) refit the rocker cover, coil pack, engine cover
27) start engine and be thankful you got it all right.
I think that's about it. I purchased tools from totally alfa, I was glad I had them. The main belt tensioner tool was wrong and they now sell a different variant, it was just too small to tension the belt properly.
Clean everything as you go along, ensure you cover the engine top when not working on it and don't get any crap in there.