LHD 2003 Spider Driver's side Window Drop - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 03-08-12 Thread Starter
County: -

Member car:

2003 Spider 916

Cry Like A Baby LHD 2003 Spider Driver's side Window Drop

Hi all,

I expected a nice sunny drive today with the top down, but was suprised to see my driver's side window drop down all the way below the door trim line... not slightly sticking out as it should. The motor continues to try and lower or raise the window but only makes a fast paced clicking sound. Also, when I press the window button, it will continue to try and raise or lower the window until I press the button in the opposite direction, in which case the motor stops. When the door opens or closes, I do not hear any rattling sounds... which is good I imagine.

I have read a few threads already about window problems, but am curious if anyone has had a similar situation with my exact symptoms and if I should prepare myself for a hefty repair bill or not.

I own a 2003 Spider and the windows are autodrops.

Tips / links to posts / suggestions are welcome!

Many thanks!
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Gloucestershire
Sounds like a gear wheel failure in the motor mechanism. Remove the door card and you will see the "basic" window mech and the toothed metal blade will have gone past the last tooth. Probably due to stripped teeth in the winder motor letting it run on past the last metal tooth. Easiest solution - new/second hand mechanism. Fairly straight forward DIY job (once you have correctly removed the door card !)
AO Silver Member
County: Bedfordshire
You have a fault with your autodrop system. Either the microswitch is faulty or there's something preventing it working properly.

In brief : The autodrop system detects when the door opens using the normal switch on the lock and looks for an earth on its sense wire. If there's no earth, it starts the motor lowering the window. When the window has travelled far enough, the microswitch on the regulator triggers and earths the sense wire. The system, seeing an earth on the sense wire stops the window. When the door closes, the system sees an earth on the sense wire and raises the window.

For some reason, the system isn't seeing an earth signal and the autodrop system is lowering the window all the way to the bottom and is trying to continue through the bottom of the door! When the door is then closed, the system still isn't seeing an earth signal so doesn't try and pull the window back up again.

You need to investigate the microswitch.

Have a look at this thread which has more info in it.
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 06-08-12 Thread Starter
County: -

Member car:

2003 Spider 916

Good stuff guys,... thanks very much for the tips... will have a look into it... and let you know what happens

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

2003 , 916 , driver , drop , gtv , lhd , side , spider , window , windows