TS gearbox help... and is 916 'box as other models? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 28-07-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: New South Wales

Member car:

2001 Spider

TS gearbox help... and is 916 'box as other models?

My gearbox was never right when I bought my car, it didnt want to go into 3rd and 4th and I had hoped it was just the swarf in the end plate stopping the selector shaft from getting that far, but when I took off the end I found 4 teeth in there... ooof!

So I whipped them out and put in circa 2 litres of some nice gearbox oil and hoped for the best, but when I tested it today I still cant get 3rd and 4th under power, tho i can go from 5th to 4th on deceleration, but when I add power it jumps out. I didnt manag to get 3rd in the short drive I had.

So, a few questions...

1, is my gearbox toast and fit only for rebuild or replacement?

2, can I get new gears to fix this myself? It seems to work fine in 1,2 and 5th....

3, If i decide to replace it, is this a spider/gtv box only or will a 147/156 etc etc gerabox be the same?

4, With this box out, what else should I do? I assume a new clutch and the bushes for the gearchange are givens, but what else?

5, is there a sensible upgrade i should do instead?

PLEASE NOTE: Im not in the UK so whilst in the UK I would just have bought another box, In Aus these are just silly money as we dont have that many Alfas here, so used parts are just silly... a fact not helped as cars here hold their value, so buying a dead alfa to break often costs the breakers silly money which they always claim back on the parts they sell... so the usual 'just get a used one' may not be as simple for me as it is for many people..

Of course if anyone local has a gearbox or anyone has any ideas on how to get a good used box to me from Europe im all ears!

My beloved 2001 TS Spider needs work...

If like watches, check my sites: www.DeskDivers.com & www.PloProf.com

If you like two stroke motorcycles, you will no doubt enjoy: www.2smoked.com

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

916 , box , gearbox , models