Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: United Kingdom
DIY it is
OK well I ummed and aahed and decided I would go DIY. Just ordered the belt kit and locks from Alfaworkshop, I didn't (yet) order the balancer belt since I understand nothing too disastrous happens if it let's go..
My reasons for having a go are:
1) I'm a bit mean and didn't give that much for the car so relatively this would be a costly exercise.
2) I would like to discover if I can do it ( I did once rebuild the aircooled engine in my VW..but I guess that was rather different.)
3) Having read some horror stories I was nervous about driving just teh 20 miles to the service centre
4) I'm mean
5) With the tools I can next time tackle the variator..
6) My wife reminded me that I bought it to tinker with and drive occassionally and not vice versa - which would be tricky with three kids.
So in summary the process, from what I read, is as follows
Remove plug cover etc.. remove plug from # 1 and check TDC coincides with pulley marks
(using dial gauge or pencil down the plug hole) remove lower aux pulley and mark TDC on crank pully. Clean, clean clean then remove cam cover, lock down cams, replace belt(s) checking TDC is still aligned), remove locks, Tension belt, turnover engine by hand, retension belt. replace all covers, etc.. start car..
Is any alignment required for the balancer belt - I guess so if toothed. I did order a CD manual but not here yet.