Idelling Problems Solved at last!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 20-04-05 Thread Starter
AO Member
Well Happy Idelling Problems Solved at last!!

Many thanks to everyone who advised me on my revving and idelling problems. Final after 3 torchurous weeks I think the problems are solved. The revving problem above 4500 rpm was down to the AFM, despite Alfa @ Salisbury claiming they tried a new AFM and it made no difference. What a bunch of outright liars, never returned my calls, broke the plastic inner wing and fuse box cover and couldn't find either of the cures to the problems. It was immediately different once the new AFM was fitted so much so, I doubt they ever fitted one.

The second problem of the idelling, took a little longer but was eventually cured by Garrison Motors in Tidworth (I would highly recommend them) it turned out to be a faulty water temperature sensor. Don't understand why and if anyone can throw some light on this it would be appreciated, but it instantely stopped the stalling, hunting and made the car very pleasant to drive.

Finally I think I can start to enjoy my alfa. Thanks everyone, oh except the Alfa main dealer who certainly won't get my reccomendation or business ever again.

Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

Re: Idelling Problems Solved at last!!

Faulty water temperature sensor. I've had this problem on my brothers Peugeot 106 Quicksilver before. The cars ECU monitors various things i.e. air flow, air temp, fuel/air mix. The water temperature sensor is another thing that it monitors and from the feedback it receives, alters the fuel mix, so having a faulty one tricks the ECU and it starts to over compensate or summat and starts the car hunting! Problem sorted. Who'd have thought such a little thing can cause so much headache
gtv dude
Chilling Re: Idelling Problems Solved at last!!

My gtv needs a new water temp sensor,my car wouldn't start a couple of mornings.This coincides with my cooling fans coming on from cold.I reasoned the mixture must be too weak,the ecu must think the engine is hot,so i pulled the afm plug off too get it started in limp mode.This worked,i then plug it back in once running.My trusty eobd reader came up with the fault code 0115 engine coolant circuit malfunction
What a handy piece of kit it is proving!
AO Member
Re: Idelling Problems Solved at last!!

Cool...that will hopefully be tried on the Spider..similar problems there

Nice info peeps

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

idelling , problems , solved