Bonnet lopsided - won't open - no resistance on release leaver - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 23-06-12 Thread Starter
County: Bristol

Member car:

Help Bonnet lopsided - won't open - no resistance on release leaver

Hi all

I'm having problems getting the bonnet/hood of my GTV to open.

Firstly, there's no resistance at all on the bonnet release leaver under the dash (and no I'm not using the steering wheel adjustment leaver!). So I slipped a screw driver under the front of the bonnet and pushed up on the catch (all the way), but the bonnet still wouldn't open.

I've noticed that on the drivers side, the bonnet rests about 10-20mm above the bumper, but on the passengers side it rests flush against the bumper.

This can't be good!

Has anyone else had this problem? Is brute force the answer? There's definitely only one catch to try beneath the bonnet on my GTV.

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Dorset
Sounds like the hood wasn't closed properly last time. If it's as lop-sided as you say then I would imagine that the passenger side is jammed against the tab which has two 'pop rivets' that hold the bumper on. The clearance here is minimal at the best of times. Do not use metal tools to lever as the bonnet is resin and you will break bits off the edge. I would try to get your fingers under the flush side if possible and gently ease it up.
AO Member
County: Staffordshire
My bonnet has two catches, one on each side. Possibly earlier GTVs had just the one but I doubt it, were there to be just one it would surely be central. On my GTV pulling the release lever releases the driver side first, then the passenger side. Mine was reluctant to release the passenger side catch, a pull on the lever released the driver side OK but to release the passenger side needed a further heavy pull to the lever's full extent of travel, plus it was necessary to ensure that the lever did not move sideways to the left so making the lever inoperative until moved back to the right (normal) position.

The last time the car went in for service I had the cable adjusted and it is OK now.
AO Member
County: Staffordshire
Just remembered, what you describe happened exactly the same to me. I just pushed the bonnet hard down so it was properly latched, and then a steady hard pull (possibly twice) released it OK.

Get your cable(s) adjusted! But you need the bonnet open to do it.
AO Gold Member
County: Brokopondo
Lift the front of the car on the passenger side, get in below front of car and reach up to slam panel and you should be able to feel/see cable, it will be housed on passenger side behind a metal lever. Now push this lever/eyelet towards centre of car and it should release passenger side.
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader
County: West Sussex
1st remove trim cover/panel under steering column & check cable is still attached to release lever.
With panel removed you get slightly more lever movement & also you can now easily see the cable which you can lever/stretch a bit more.
I'd try this with the help of someone else pushing & pulling the bonnet while you pull the lever &/or cable.
If the above doesn't work get the car raised, preferably on a ramp, put your hand up the back of the radiator until you feel the cable which runs behind the top of the rad between the two bonnet catch levers either side, pull down on this cable & it should release both catches.

Picture attached showing the cable running behind the black cable tidy on top of the rad between the two slam posts, black trim panel which normally sits across these & covers the cable has been removed.

Remove this black panel & the front bonnet grill before closing the bonnet again, then you can reach through the nose of the bonnet to release it until it's correctly adjusted.....that's if your cable hasn't snapped, if it has then follow EauRouge's advise but don't shut the bonnet again without removing the two sprung bonnet 'catch pins'.

Last edited by CGTVs; 31-03-13 at 13:25.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

bonnet , leaver , lopsided , open , release , resistance