Engine management warning light/engine stutter - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 19-06-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Greater London
Engine management warning light/engine stutter

I use my 98 Ph1 2.0TS for a 400 mile motorway journey every 2 weeks with inner London driving the rest of the time. Had her from new and everyone marvels on how tight and responsive the engine still is at 75k miles. Performance + fuel consumption as good as when new.

A couple of months ago, the engine mgt warning light came on while on the motorway at a steady 85mph. Stayed on for less than 5 minutes and went off. Performance was fine throughout. I thought it was a quirk. No repeat for the next 3 journeys.

A month ago, in torrential rain the car stuttered (sounded almost like a flooded carb in days of old) at the very start of my 400 mile trip and at the very end. It was fine for 380 miles even though it was absolutely pouring throughout. While it was happening (coming and going over a period of about 10 minutes), I put foot on the clutch...no change, dropped down through the gears revving to the limit...no change. I asked a fellow Alfa nut who knows the car well. Neither of us had a fixed idea and he suggested it could be just the ultimate in bad luck and the pouring rain meant the MAF had got damp leading to the stuttering. I am sceptical as having never happened in 14 years of driving, much of which has been in terrible rain, it seems strange that it would happen now.

No repeat of the stuttering but the engine management light popping up for 5 minutes is now happening on every journey. There is no effect on performance.

Last summer, I tarted up the engine bay taking out the rusty airbox and tubes. I'd think this could be a cause - either the tubes have slipped apart leaving a gap or we've put something back the wrong way round meaning water can more easily get into the airflow system. the MAF in particular.

Before I take the air system apart again, does anyone have other ideas?

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Hampshire

Member car:

GTV twinspark

AO Gold Member
County: Kent
As Ian says, it will answer your question for you and save you going down blind alleys.
AO Member
As the guys say, need to get the code read (and cleared). Until it's cleared, the message will keep reappearing even if there's been no recurrence. Should be quick and cheap at an Alfa indie; might even do it free.

An air leak in the tubes you mention could be enough to trigger it, even without water ingress. The sensors look for consistency between inlet pressure and exhaust pressure (or temperature, not sure which).
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 19-06-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Greater London
Thanks guys. I'll try and get a diagnostics test next weekend as i want to get an oil change (trying Motul 300V 10w40 fully synthetic for the first time) at my local Alfa indie.
Will update you all if I learn anything useful.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

engine , light or engine , management , stutter , warning