Springpan needed, please! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 11-06-12 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

County: Brokopondo
Springpan needed, please!

Just had my MOT the other day and car failed on Sprinpan drivers side due to rust around spring area and a failed number plate bulb.

Anyone breaking a GTV or have a spare lying in their shed that they want to sell me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Merseyside
Quote:
Originally Posted by EauRouge View Post
Just had my MOT the other day and car failed on Sprinpan drivers side due to rust around spring area and a failed number plate bulb.

Anyone breaking a GTV or have a spare lying in their shed that they want to sell me?

You have an email with pics, even have a bulb..
AO Silver Member

County: Kent
Garage

Member car:

Alfas

Quote:

Not heard of this 1 before!

Buzz back the rust on the spring pans and polly bush
(Post Link) post #4 of 9 Old 11-06-12 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Cheers wayne, i'll check my email, Andy, its very common on the GTV/Spiders as the metal is quite thin around spring plate area and it tends to be a water trap as its hollow unfortunately.
pkr
AO Silver Member

County: Bedfordshire
Quote:
... and it tends to be a water trap as its hollow unfortunately.
Or the drain hole gets bunged up which will allow water to pool in the spring recess.
AO Member

County: Essex
While I was rust treating my V6 I noticed the spring pans we're in a sorry state. AHM confirmed it while the car was with them and I decided to have them replaced. I painted them with several coats of silver Hammerite paint for extra protection as I couldn't believe how bad the originals were. At the time I also wanted a new front splitter and after giving up on Bishops I went to HWM in Walton on Thames. The parts guy (can't remeber his name) was really helpful and he happened to have some spring pan arms in stock which he supplied me at half price, 220 the pair! I don't know what model you have Eau Rouge but if TS and V6 spring pan arms are the same it might be worth giving them a call. 08444 708285.

Rob

Back in the day! 3.0 V6 GTV in Azzurro Novola. Mine!!.

2.0 Spider in Victoria Blue, Hers still!!

I've settled for a Audi atm, but hey nobody's perfect.
(Post Link) post #7 of 9 Old 13-06-12 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Thanks Rob,

I just got sorted today, got a set of 17" Teledials, and a couple of Springpans 2nd hand but in good shape + a GTV for 140.

I have my rotten springpan off and i was totally shocked at the state of the one i removed, the bottom plate had rusted and rotted through and was hanging off while the top plate where the spring rests was covered in rust and holes where the metal had rotted. I reckon if i had gone over a speedbump at any decent speed the rear suspension would have collapsed. What i find strange though is that the Nearside pan is in very good nic while the drivers side was totally rotten.

I will post a pic tomorrow as a warning to others to keep their drain holes clean and free as pkr recommends above.
AO Member

County: Essex
Glad you got it sorted. I willl be removing my rear wheels and pressure washing/cleaning them once a year to keep them in good condition as I can't believe how bad mine were!!
AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICEMANV6 View Post
Glad you got it sorted. I willl be removing my rear wheels and pressure washing/cleaning them once a year to keep them in good condition as I can't believe how bad mine were!!
I think people forget about what they can't see and the pans, springs and the turrets for the bump stops do corrode, but most of our cars are 10+ years old and probably have not had much done to them in that area, until the suspension at the back goes. I recently refurbed all mine as I had one of my eibach springs had broken in 2 places. I'll post some photos to see the before and after. The turrets were also full of wet muck, as there is also a small hole in sub frame where the turret is fitted and it had all drained inside and then had filled the dip with the hole with mud. Yuk! I did feel quite chuffed when I'd finished them. Best to clean around them with the presure washer at least a few times a year and at least give them a coat of waxoil.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
needed , springpan