Door Armrests - How are they attatched? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 09-06-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Essex

Member car:

Door Armrests - How are they attatched?

I've just bought some new leather handbrake and gear lever gaiters from JF Boots on ebay (amazing quality for any money, let alone 12 the set, and not too hard to fit - at least on a phase 2) and love them so much I've ordered a set of leather covers for the door arm rests as well.

Question is, do I have to remove the door card to get the rests off, or will they lever off, and push back on without being too loose? Other threads are unclear on this...
Thanks for the help - and I do recommend the above company - I've no idea how they do such high quality items custom fit for the money.
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: herts
On our 147 the fixing screws for the armrests were located under softish plastic blanking plugs iirc? Not sure about yours.
AO Gold Member
County: Merseyside
If you want to put them back on then it is a door card off job, there are 6 bent metal tags, you will see them when you take the card off....
(Post Link) post #4 of 6 Old 16-06-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Essex

Member car:

Others (on other threads) thought that the armrests can be levered/pulled off, and put back reasonably securely without removing the door card, so I tried it.

It can be done as follows, although I'm sure door card off is best for those willing/able to do it.

The rests need to be lifted up from the front edge. Once the lower tabs are free, the rest "turns out" releasing the upper tabs. For reinsertion, adjust the lower tabs slightly with pliers so that they match the lower slots, then match up the upper tabs with the upper slots, insert slightly, turn the rest down so that the lower tabs are close to the lower slots, check the upper slots agin, and tap the armrest home at right angles to the door (I just used the palm of my hand). The rests will then be quite firm, although much easier to pull off than they were.

Next time I have the door card off I'll sort the tabs from the back and get the fitting back to original strength.
AO Gold Member
County: Kent
It's so easy to remove the door card, just do the job correctly first time round
AO Member
County: Suffolk

Member car:

2000 V6

Don't be afraid to take the card off. I took mine off today - it took 15 mins and about the same to get back on. Really simple. Read post 1 in this thread:

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

armrests , attatched , door