Insight into some Issues? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 07-06-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: KwaZulu-Natal

Member car:

Spider 3.0 V6

Hmmm Insight into some Issues?

Hi Guys

Did an inspection of my engine bay and, aside from needing a wash, found a few things which I wanted to get more info on. She's a 2003 Spider 3.0 V6 with 70k miles.

I've attached photos and here is the list related to them:
1. The belt (which I assume is the aux belt) does not seem to be sitting properly on the pulley. I'm not sure if the photo is clear but it seems to be sitting on the lip of the pulley?
2. There is oil sitting just above the gasket of the head, looks the same colour as cooking oil?
3. Also oil which seems to be seeping out of the gasket at the rear of the engine. No noticable oil usage though.
4. The clip on the air intake pipe is not clipped. I tried using pliers to clip it back on but had no luck. Any tips how I can do this without buying the specific tool or should I just get a screw clamp and replace it with that?

It's just had a cambelt service and was inspected by the agents and they didn't alert me to anything except that the top left engine stabilizer mount needs replacing (the bushes are basically non-existent).

Any insight, info or tips appreciated! Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Belt.jpg (38.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Oil.jpg (73.4 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg oil2.jpg (79.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12087.jpg (76.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg deep contrast compress.jpg (53.9 KB, 19 views)
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Bedfordshire
Belt does seem a bit wide. Count the number of ridges on a pulley you can see and the belt. They should be the same ( not familiar with the V6 but possibly 6 or 7 ridges ).

Clip : Doesn't look undone. Before I bought a proper Clic tool, I used a pair of grips to fasten the Clic clips.

Like this :

It's not difficult to do even with those. Clic clips are so quick and easy. Far superior to 'jubilee' style clips. Quick, easy, correct level of tension every time, built in expansion ( where heat is an issue ), look better, stainless steel and no end sticking out to slice skin!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GTV V6, ex 166er

You can modify a cheap plumbers wrench (<£5) by thinning /notching jaw edge to fit clip.
Both gaskets in pic 2 tend to weep. the plastic cover on 2 V6s I have removed and applied self curing gold gasket in a thin smear to the face plate. You can tweak/tighten the cam cover cap bolt more easily with throttle body removed.
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 08-06-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: KwaZulu-Natal

Member car:

Spider 3.0 V6

Thanks for the replies... Apologies without checking properly I uploaded the wrong photo of the clip. The actual one which is undone is the one above the one in the picture! Anyways will try again with more brute force tonight.

Regarding the gaskets CrispDust: I'm not majorily mechanical but have stripped motor bike engines etc. Are you saying I should remove the throttle body and then ???. Just need a bit more detail as to what I need to remove etc.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

insight , issues