After much thread studying i bit the bullet and decided to replace the fluid in my brakes and clutch. Must say i was fairly nervous thinking i might end up with the car stuck with no brakes or clutch but actually it all went rather well.
I used a Gunsons Eezibleed and it worked a treat. I was going to do a "how to" but it was lashing down. But basically this is what i did:
Jack up front and remove wheels
Check both nipples are free on each side (in case more plusgas needed etc)
Bonnet up, old blanket laid on top
Space saver wheel laid on top of engine - pressure reduced to 18psi
I syringed out some of the old fluid in the reservoir to limit mixing with the new stuff
Set up Eezibleed kit (one of the reservoir caps is a perfect fit for the GTV - i added the extra washer in the cap though. Screw cap firly on to brake reservoir
Attach Eezibleed to spare wheel to check for leaks - all ok
Remove tyre connection and fill Eezibleed reservoir with new fluid (i used ATE Super R Blue)
Re-attach and check for leaks again - all ok
Attach clear plastic tube to first bleed nipple and put other end in an old container
Gently undo bleed nipple and watch the old fluid drain. They are 8mm - i cracked them with an 8mm socket then a ring spanner to open/close during the bleed.
Close nipple when the fluid runs a clear, clean blue - check for leaks and replace dust cover - i used a can of brake cleaner to remove any drips of fluid.
Repeat on all the other nipples - i did FL, FR, RL, RR. This used about 600ml but i wanted to make sure all the old fluid was out so ran more through than i probably needed. There are two nipples to each caliper on the front and one for each rear. I had to top up the bottle once - so make sure you remove the connection to the tyre before removing the cap for the Eezibleed bottle.
I then did the clutch:
Same setup with the Eezibleed
I have a CDA so removed air intake that holds the MAF and the section going to the plenum for access to the clutch slave.
The clutch slave bleed nipple is a 7mm. I only had a 7mm deep socket which worked to open it, then a small adjustable to open/close during the bleed.
I strung a few sections of tubing together so i could have the drain bottle accesible - about 40cm worked well.
Fit the Eezibleed as before and open up the nipple - the fluid that came out was much dirtier than before but then ran clean and blue.
Tighten with the 7mm socket
In total used about 800ml of fluid for a full, comprehensive flush and replace.
Checked brake pedal feel in car - all felt good
Checked clutch pedal feel - all felt good
Tentative test - all felt good!
If it's the same in the morning i'll be chuffed. It was actually very easy but one of those jobs that could easily turn into a 'mare. I guess all you'd need is a seized nipple to spoil your day!
Regarding the Eezibleed though - brilliant! From reading the forums (and the instructions) the key seems to be to use the right amount of pressure in the spare wheel. I had to put some more air in for the rears as it had dropped from about 18psi to about 7psi which seemed too low. 18psi worked well.
Hope the above helps - a recommendation would be to check all the nipples before you commit.