Lifting Gearstick/lever - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 03-06-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Somerset
Help Lifting Gearstick/lever

Afternoon chaps,

I've mentioned this on a couple of other threads, however I was hi-jacking others and thought I would share my query here with photos to try and explain more clearly.

Basically the whole gearlever and knob will lift about an inch whether in-gear or neutral. I have a notchy gearbox as is (particulary fourth - to be resolved hopefully with an end plate clean at service time in July). However this lifting issue has me worried. Clearly something is loose. I don't know if the photos help but the first shows the gear stick at rest. The second is when I lift the lever up and the plastic ball (white) fouls against the gold bracket surround.
At Rest:
Attachment 144882
Lifted by hand:
Attachment 144883

Is it possible to take the bracket off and have a look further underneath? I don't want to undo this and have something fall off underneath (be it ruts or any other component...!) I am hoping it's something loose near the stick as apart from fourth gear, none of the gear changes have been anymore difficult than in the past...

Your thoughts or ideas are very welcome - particularly if lifting that bracket/plate will be no real issue!

Cheers, Cluffstarr

History - 1999 156 2.0 TS - 1999 GTV 2.0 TS - 2000 GTV 2.0 TS, 2000 166 2.5 V6 24V - 2002 147 2.0 TS - 2004 147 2.0 TS
Current - 2001 Spider 2.0 TS, 2006 Jaguar XK8, 2006 VW Golf GTi

Last edited by Cluffstarr; 22-06-14 at 17:05.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

gearstick or lever , lifting