Phase 1 (TRW2) airbag diagnostics - Solved!!! - Page 5 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes

AO Gold Member

I spoke to VOSA today (Monday 4th March) and the airbag light is a fail if constantly lit as from Wednesday 20th March 2013.

Last edited by Spider95; 04-03-13 at 16:01.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
I'm having issues with TRW2SCAN i keep getting this error...

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/...ps4c89be06.jpg

I have tried it on two laptops, one a XP machine the other a vista machine both have .NET on them as i've used multiECUscan on both laptops.
AO Silver Member

County: Skåne
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffa View Post
I'm having issues with TRW2SCAN i keep getting this error...

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/...ps4c89be06.jpg
at C:\trw2scan> try to type trw2scan trw2.obd and press Enter instead of just typing
trw2scan.exe, both files trw2scan.exe and trw2.obd must reside in the directory
C:\trw2scan>.
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTV-TB View Post
at C:\trw2scan> try to type trw2scan trw2.obd and press Enter instead of just typing
trw2scan.exe, both files trw2scan.exe and trw2.obd must reside in the directory
C:\trw2scan>.
Tried both and they in the same directory... Kinda academic now as i've come to the conclusion that the project car has come to its end.. I'm moving away in august and i have enough to deal with so the GTV has to go...

County: -
Hello i have a TRW unit with Part-No 60664500 from year 1999 and removed it from my car.

How i have to connect it to my laptop to reset the airbag lamp
At the momtent have only a VAG ODB2-USB Cable and the TRW2Scan Program, but i don't know how it connect the OBD2 Cable to the TRW interface.
Do i need a lamp, 12V or airbag bridges and how it must be wired? Or is it better to build it back in car.

sorry, the wiki site from http://peter-feil.eu/mediawiki/index.php/Trw2scan is down

thanks for your help

Last edited by superspider; 25-07-13 at 13:43.
(Post Link) post #106 of 158 Old 27-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Stockholm
Quote:
Originally Posted by superspider View Post
Hello i have a TRW unit with Part-No 60664500 from year 1999 and removed it from my car.

How i have to connect it to my laptop to reset the airbag lamp
At the momtent have only a VAG ODB2-USB Cable and the TRW2Scan Program, but i don't know how it connect the OBD2 Cable to the TRW interface.
Do i need a lamp, 12V or airbag bridges and how it must be wired? Or is it better to build it back in car.

sorry, the wiki site from http://peter-feil.eu/mediawiki/index.php/Trw2scan is down

thanks for your help
This ECU is not supported by Trw2scan. You should be able to use e.g. Multiecuscan directly in the car OBD-connector to access the airbag ECU. You might need a modified cable where pin 3 (airbag) is connected to pin 7 (K-line).

County: Isle of Wight
Hi Redtop,

Looks like you have been doing some great work here. I have been lloking for a solution to clear my TRW2 airbag ECU (p/n 60625181) errors for nearly a year now after removing the front seat of my 96 Alfa Spider. I have tried all the usual software and different COM port settings and wiring arrangements.

While trying to diagnose a problem with my ABS ECU I stumbled accross this thread, you can imagine my excitement that there was a solution to the problem which many have been having here. So as soon as I had fixed the ABS problem I tried to download the software @ http://peter-feil.eu/mediawiki/index.php/Trw2scan but the link is down.

Is there any chance you could please post a live link to download the TRW2SCAN software so I can finally clear the anoying airbag light.

Thanks in advance.

AO Silver Member

County: Skåne
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpantziow View Post
Hi Redtop,

Looks like you have been doing some great work here. I have been lloking for a solution to clear my TRW2 airbag ECU (p/n 60625181) errors for nearly a year now after removing the front seat of my 96 Alfa Spider. I have tried all the usual software and different COM port settings and wiring arrangements.

While trying to diagnose a problem with my ABS ECU I stumbled accross this thread, you can imagine my excitement that there was a solution to the problem which many have been having here. So as soon as I had fixed the ABS problem I tried to download the software @ http://peter-feil.eu/mediawiki/index.php/Trw2scan but the link is down.

Is there any chance you could please post a live link to download the TRW2SCAN software so I can finally clear the anoying airbag light.

Thanks in advance.
If jcaubin's link does not work, take a look at post 84 in this thread.

Thanks GTV_TB got the file from Post 84 the original link is still down. I will try it when I get home from work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtop_68 View Post
This ECU is not supported by Trw2scan. You should be able to use e.g. Multiecuscan directly in the car OBD-connector to access the airbag ECU. You might need a modified cable where pin 3 (airbag) is connected to pin 7 (K-line).
thank you for this helpful information. Can i easyly take the pin 7 from my OBD-Cable and change it to pin 3 ?

Thank you guys so much, got home from work and made the new cable used the TRW2scan and it done exactly what it said on the tin and now my airbag light goes out as it should. I've been trying to sort this for over a year now and wasted many hours to find a way to fix it.

Thanks again guys
(Post Link) post #113 of 158 Old 04-08-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpantziow View Post
Thank you guys so much, got home from work and made the new cable used the TRW2scan and it done exactly what it said on the tin and now my airbag light goes out as it should. I've been trying to sort this for over a year now and wasted many hours to find a way to fix it.

Thanks again guys
Been on vacation but it seems that you sorted it all out already.

County: Noord Brabant
I own a phase 2 GTV.
Would it be possible to reprogram the phase 2 airbag module?
The complete board layout of the airbag module is different.
Don't know about the software.
Does anyone know hot to obtain the software for the 60659075?

The IC used in this module is the 68HC711KA1 - CPU4 OD61N SSNH9813

The device I currently own gives a error message in ecuscan.
I think it's bacause of power failure issues.
Hopefully reprogramming will solve the issue.
I only need to obtain the software...

County: Devon
Another chappy very happy to find this thread - I've been at my wit's end trying to put this airbag light out for my MOT. My local Alfa dealer wanted £100 just to plug it in! I have the leads on the way but I have a couple of questions first...

1.) I think I read somewhere that if you take out the airbag ECU out and turn on the ignition, if the airbag light stays on then the fault is not with the ECU but a grounding problem somewhere probably in the dash. Apparently this is because the bulb is supposed to be grounded by the ECU and not before. Is this true? I took my module out recently and the airbag light was still on.

2.) Is it OK to do this through the diagnostic port, with the ECU plugged into the car? Reading from previous posts it seems that yes this is probably safe, but not guarenteed. Thought I would ask anyway though.

Thanks a lot everyone!

James
(Post Link) post #116 of 158 Old 25-09-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsey View Post
Another chappy very happy to find this thread - I've been at my wit's end trying to put this airbag light out for my MOT. My local Alfa dealer wanted £100 just to plug it in! I have the leads on the way but I have a couple of questions first...

1.) I think I read somewhere that if you take out the airbag ECU out and turn on the ignition, if the airbag light stays on then the fault is not with the ECU but a grounding problem somewhere probably in the dash. Apparently this is because the bulb is supposed to be grounded by the ECU and not before. Is this true? I took my module out recently and the airbag light was still on.

2.) Is it OK to do this through the diagnostic port, with the ECU plugged into the car? Reading from previous posts it seems that yes this is probably safe, but not guarenteed. Thought I would ask anyway though.

Thanks a lot everyone!

James
1) I had a quick look at the wiring diagram in the workshop manual, and I would say that you are correct.

2) As you say. You probably will be OK, but no guarantees. (I have done it in my car once.)

Good luck in fixing your problem!

County: Devon
I tried the trw2scan software and all I could get is "ECU Response Timeout" at each stage, no ISO Code identified etc.

I used a KKL/VAGCOM adaptor I bought off ebay which can switch which pin(s) the K-line is connected to, labelled 7 (engine), 3 (airbag), 1/9 (abs) or 12/13. Initially I thought the cable should be switched to airbag/pin 3 mode but when it didn't work I suspected this may not be the case. Now I can see that it's probably supposed to be 7(engine) because that's the only pin which is connected in my OBD2 to 3-pin adaptor! I have tested the cable on my engine ECU with multiecuscan and it worked fine.

Anyway, I tried all the switch positions, with a two wire harness only connecting K-line and ground, directly to the diagnostic harness, with the airbags and ECU connected and the ignition on. All I could only get "ECU Response Timeout"

I also double checked my airbag light _does_ remain lit when the ECU is completely removed.

Here is the KKL adaptor I used... Should it work or are the pins wrong?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MultiECUSc...item41773b8a34

So do we think the ECU is toasted? Surely it would be a coincidence for both that and wiring problem in the dash causing the airbag bulb to light? My thoughts are that I guess a grounding problem there could have fried the ECU? Or the same grounding problem could cause the communication interface problem?

I'm fed up with this problem now! I already wasted £40 on a failed MOT and I couldn't get this fixed in time for a retest. My mechanic has checked all the grounds and connections that usually fail, buy his snap-on diag unit couldn't communicate with this ECU. Then I wasted another £40 sending it to a crash data reset service, thinking that perhaps crash data was on it from the previous owner. There wasn't. Now I can't drive the car until it's fixed! I've driven the car with this light on for 5 years since I've owned it without any problem!

All help greatly appreciated!

James
(Post Link) post #118 of 158 Old 30-09-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

You are correct with the switching. It should be set to 7 as the 3-pin adaptor is connected to pin 7. The switching thing is for ph2 and on, where all ECUs are accessed from the OBD-connector near the fuse box, and you need to set the switches depending on what ECU you want to access.

To connect to the 60625181 airbag ECU the L-line must NOT be connected, otherwise you will get the "ECU Response Timeout" error message. One way to arrange that is by cutting the corresponding wire in your 3-pin adapter.

The 3-pin adapter should also have a +12V supply that needs to be connected, in case you forgot that.
AO Member

County: South Australia
cheers for the info. i just got my 3 pin adapter in the mail. I look forward very much to living airbag light free!!!ah!
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire
Did this yesterday, did it in-situ by removing the L line connector from the 3 pin socket on the ECU.

The good news is it worked a treat.
The bad news is that I found out why the light was on, the wires coming out the back of the clockspring had been catching on something an frayed through
Bridged it with a 2.2ohm resistor and cleared the error light
djbdjb

P1 Spider Airbag Error Codes

Hi

I 'think' I originally triggered the warning light by moving the passenger seat when the ignition was on. This was about 8 years ago though and, to be honest, I never really liked the idea of airbags so never bothered to do anything about it.

Of course now the carís failed itís MOT so I got myself the necessary cable from idiagnostics and got it all plugged in and tried to clear the error codes but they wonít budge so now I really have no idea what to do!

If anyone knows anything about the error codes or can point me in the right direction Iíd be extremely grateful - failing that itís going to be an expensive trip to an Alfa garage which, given the cars 18 years old now, is probably going to make it a write-off!

Iíve attached the readout from trw2scan.

Thanks in advance.

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trw2scan.jpg (46.3 KB, 58 views)

(Post Link) post #122 of 158 Old 24-03-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbdjb View Post
Hi

If anyone knows anything about the error codes or can point me in the right direction Iíd be extremely grateful - failing that itís going to be an expensive trip to an Alfa garage which, given the cars 18 years old now, is probably going to make it a write-off!

Iíve attached the readout from trw2scan.

Thanks in advance.

David
It seems like you have error code 0x01 - ECU error. That means that the ECU unit itself is faulty. This error cannot be reset with trw2scan. You need to find a replacement ECU.

Good thing is that you can go for a used ECU. If it has any errors stored you can clear them with trw2scan. I had the same problem with my car: error 0x01. Got an ECU from someone breaking a car, and used trw2scan to clear the errors. No problem since!
djbdjb

Thanks so much for answering quickly, I’ve spotted one for £40 on eBay so going to grab that one I think.

Is it an easy job replacing the ECU - just a question of unplugging it and plugging the new one in?

(Post Link) post #124 of 158 Old 24-03-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbdjb View Post
Thanks so much for answering quickly, Iíve spotted one for £40 on eBay so going to grab that one I think.

Is it an easy job replacing the ECU - just a question of unplugging it and plugging the new one in?
Yes, its as easy as that . You must already have found it under the back seat, so just remember to disconnect the battery and wait ca 15 minutes before doing any work on the airbag system.
djbdjb

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtop_68 View Post
Yes, its as easy as that . You must already have found it under the back seat, so just remember to disconnect the battery and wait ca 15 minutes before doing any work on the airbag system.
I got hold of a second-hand one from eBay, disconnected the battery (for 3 hours... just in case) and switched the ECU with the old one and the light now goes off after 5 seconds as it should Ė I didnít need to reset the replacement unit - and I am now the proud owner of an MOT certificate for the next year!

Thanks for your help, and if you are the author of the Word file I downloaded with the instructions, thanks again!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
airbag , diagnostics , obd , phase , phase1 , solved , trw , trw2