Phase 1 (TRW2) airbag diagnostics - Solved!!! - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes

reveds1969

Hi GTV- TB i have tried using a different computer that is running vista and it works perfectly time after time so thank you very much for your investigation work.
I have since removed my airbagged steering wheel for the isotta i have had sat to one side
Regards

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

reveds1969

Thanks to all for the help

Last edited by reveds1969; 27-07-12 at 22:25.

AO Member

County: Ita-Suomen Laani
I can not describe how happy I am

My gtv turbo has had airbag light on since I turned the key while one of the airbag connectors was open. Just a stupid mistake. Then I was searching near and far how to reset the light. Especially after none of my friends programs and adaptors could talk to that box.

Then finally there was light when I found this trw2scan but It sounded a bit tricky. Even though I'm an electrician. I thought I was more likely to burn the whole thing then gain anything. But as inspection was creeping closer I decided to just go for it and see what happens. Nothing motivates like nescessity, huh

So, cables and adaptors from e-bay, software from repair wiki, a friend supplied old airbag cable harness for 156,
rummaged my dads drawers for the resistors... Then brought the whole lot inside along with ecu.

I opened the airbag cable plug to se which wire goes where, and had to move some of them. Made dummy resistors, and soldered it all together checking and double checking as I went ahead. You can imagine my dissapointment when windows said "trw2scan has crashed" or something similar

I had absolutely no idea what was wrong. I kept checking connections, drivers, voltages etc. NOTHING helped. I even tried another computer with same result Then finally looking at the directory I realised I'm supposed to run the .obd file, not the .exe file, and when windows asks which program to run it with, then tell it to use the .exe file! I don't know if that is how you all have done it, but that really wasn't clear to me even after reading the instruction many times. Maybe it's due to my non existant computer skills

Thank you guys so much! It really is something special to have a community like this. And the feeling of fixing it without going to the dealer, well priceless really
(Post Link) post #79 of 158 Old 26-08-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Stockholm
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIN Coyote View Post
[B]You can imagine my dissapointment when windows said "trw2scan has crashed" or something similar

I had absolutely no idea what was wrong. I kept checking connections, drivers, voltages etc. NOTHING helped. I even tried another computer with same result Then finally looking at the directory I realised I'm supposed to run the .obd file, not the .exe file, and when windows asks which program to run it with, then tell it to use the .exe file! I don't know if that is how you all have done it, but that really wasn't clear to me even after reading the instruction many times. Maybe it's due to my non existant computer skills
TRW2Scan is intended to be run in a command window, but doing it your way is an alternative.

Good to hear that you solved your problem, good luck at the inspection and drive carefully!

/RedTop
pkr
AO Silver Member

County: Bedfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by redtop_68 View Post

http://archive.pixbox.se/arkivet/syn...0/33062695.jpg

I found some suitable connectors at work that I crimped directly to the resistors/wires
Do you have any detail on this connector you used? Manufacturer/part number etc?

I don't need one at the moment but I thought I'd make one up just in case. So if I do ever get a warning light ( and with my luck it'd happen the day before an MOT! ) it'll be no hassle fixing it.

Thanks.
(Post Link) post #81 of 158 Old 17-10-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkr View Post
Do you have any detail on this connector you used? Manufacturer/part number etc?

I don't need one at the moment but I thought I'd make one up just in case. So if I do ever get a warning light ( and with my luck it'd happen the day before an MOT! ) it'll be no hassle fixing it.

Thanks.
It's just a contact housing for female crimp contacts with the correct pitch, 2.54mm if I remember correct. I think the one I used was AMP but there are others (molex etc).

Here's an example:
https://www.elfa.se/elfa3~eu_en/elfa...54&q=43-566-24
pkr
AO Silver Member

As simple as that.

Thanks, that should be no problem to source.
pkr
AO Silver Member

The site has had a MySQL problem for a few days now. Anyone know of an alternative download site?
AO Silver Member

County: Skåne
Quote:
The site has had a MySQL problem for a few days now. Anyone know of an alternative download site?
Save the file trw2scan.itn to your computer and rename trw2scan.itn to trw2scan.zip and unzip the file.

hope it helps
Attached Files
File Type: itn trw2scan.itn (7.2 KB, 53 views)
pkr
AO Silver Member

That's fantastic.

Thank you.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Hi is anyone offering to do this for others? Wife's phase 1 spider has the warning light but I'm never going to be able to build such a set up

Money waiting for someone who wants to charge to do this?
I'm in Surrey but will dive to you if reasonable distance.

Thanks

Mj
pkr
AO Silver Member

I've now made an interface and wanted to test it out. It was with some feelings of foolishness and quite a lot of unease that I set an error on my ECU.

Good news is, the interface and software work just fine. Huge sense of relief to me when the light went out as my airbag light has never been on ( except on power on self test! ) and I didn't want it on!

My interface is somewhat similar to the one pictured by redtop_68 in post 20. In order to make it I had to buy parts some of which had a minimum quantity. I therefore have a surplus of parts so if anyone is interested, I could make up a few more and post them out for some beer tokens ( not sure how much at this stage ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaholic1001 View Post
Hi is anyone offering to do this for others? Wife's phase 1 spider has the warning light but I'm never going to be able to build such a set up

Money waiting for someone who wants to charge to do this?
I'm in Surrey but will dive to you if reasonable distance.
I have a working setup and live in Bedfordshire ( not far from M1 J12 ). If it's not too far for you, I'm happy to help.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Good news is, the interface and software work just fine. Huge sense of relief to me when the light went out as my airbag light has never been on ( except on power on self test! ) and I didn't want it on!
Nice that you have got it all up and running.
pkr
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTV-TB View Post
Nice that you have got it all up and running.
Indeed! Now to put it away somewhere nice and safe for the day I need it properly. At which point I'll have forgotten where I put it!

And thanks again for uploading the program for me.
AO Silver Member

Somewhere nice and safe ... I'm well aware about, I never find it again.
AO Member

Hi All

Is the concensus that you do the reset on the bench with dummy loads rather than in the car ?

Is their a risk that it (user error) might blow an airbag for example ? It seems a fair bit of extra bother wiring up the dummy loads and making connectors if the risks of blowing something are small.

Cheers

JS

PS For a cheats method wouldn't the light out but disconnecting p13 on the ECU ?
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_stan View Post
Hi All

Is the concensus that you do the reset on the bench with dummy loads rather than in the car ?

Is their a risk that it (user error) might blow an airbag for example ? It seems a fair bit of extra bother wiring up the dummy loads and making connectors if the risks of blowing something are small.

Cheers

JS

PS For a cheats method wouldn't the light out but disconnecting p13 on the ECU ?
You should disconnect the airbags and tensioners when there is a risk that they might blow.

But you can still diagnose with the ECU mounted inside the car.

1: Disconnect the battery for 15 minutes.

2: Unmount the airbags and disconnect the tensioners.

3: Connect 3.3Ohm resistors (or 2.8Ohm that I measured on
Examiner diagnosis dummies) to the connectors.

4: Connect battery.

5: Do the diagnosis, and erase faults.

6: Disconnect the battery for 15 minutes.

7: Mount the airbags and connect the tensioners.

8: Connect battery.

And hopefully all is OK, otherwise you need to make that procedure
again to find out which part that does not work and replace it.
reveds1969

I have this software and a custom cable ready to go if anyone would like their mk1 airbag clearingcu clearing give me a shout
Regards

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Quote:
I've now made an interface and wanted to test it out. It was with some feelings of foolishness and quite a lot of unease that I set an error on my ECU.

My interface is somewhat similar to the one pictured by redtop_68 in post 20. In order to make it I had to buy parts some of which had a minimum quantity. I therefore have a surplus of parts so if anyone is interested, I could make up a few more and post them out for some beer tokens ( not sure how much at this stage ).

I have a working setup and live in Bedfordshire ( not far from M1 J12 ). If it's not too far for you, I'm happy to help.

Hi pkr

If you could then that would be great! Should we arrange to meet with the car or should I take the ecu off?

When might be good for you? Xmas is coming up fast but it doesn't need doing until feb next year so plenty of time. Let me know by Pm as then il see your reply

Thanks

Mj
(Post Link) post #95 of 158 Old 10-12-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_stan View Post
Hi All

Cheers

JS

I did use the SW live in my car, and that didn't cause any problems. Later someone on this forum mentioned that the instructions for the Fiat Examiner tells that you should disconnect this ECU and attach a dummy wire harness before clearing errors.

My guess it that there has been some incident and Fiat have taken extra precausions because of that. It does work to clear errors with the ECU still attached to the car, but weather you wan't to take the risk off setting off you aribag or not is up to you.

/Redtop
AO Member

County: KwaZulu-Natal
Hi redtop 68, I am having a bit of trouble connecting to my Phase 1 Spider airbag ECU. When I rin the trw2scan.exe from the C prompt, I get a message that windows has shut the program down and the following in the prompt window:
Number of Devices is 1
Dev 0:
Flags =0x0
Type = 0x5
ID = 0x4036001
Loc Id = 0x215
Serial No = A1016DIV
Description = FT232R USB UART
ft Handle = 0x0

What am I doing wrong, and more so, how do I fix it?

Many thanks for your efforts and hard work.
(Post Link) post #97 of 158 Old 10-02-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Cooper View Post
Hi redtop 68, I am having a bit of trouble connecting to my Phase 1 Spider airbag ECU. When I rin the trw2scan.exe from the C prompt, I get a message that windows has shut the program down and the following in the prompt window:
Number of Devices is 1
Dev 0:
Flags =0x0
Type = 0x5
ID = 0x4036001
Loc Id = 0x215
Serial No = A1016DIV
Description = FT232R USB UART
ft Handle = 0x0

What am I doing wrong, and more so, how do I fix it?

Many thanks for your efforts and hard work.
Hi Mark!
It's been a while since I used the program, and I left my interface in the garage some blocks away, so I can't connect it up and refresh my memory. Also I'm going away for some work until end of this week, so I'm afraid I can't get on it until then.

Meanwhile, check that your L-line isn't connected, otherwise you will not get a connection with the ECU.

/RedTop
AO Member

Thanks a ton mate. I was a little confused as to whether or not I should cut the L-line. Some say it is not necessary for the Fiat three pin adapter, and only required if using the 16 pin connector as on Phase 2 cars. I'll disconnect the L-line and give it another go.

Where is the best place to make the mod, in the KKL plug I presume?

Once again thanks for getting back to me.

Ciao
AO Member

My eternal thanks to you redtop 68 and Peter Feil.

I have sucessfully re set my airbag light and found the fault (Low battery voltage) on my Phase 1 Twinspark Spider. I'll be putting in a new battery today.

Instead of cutting the L - line, I made up a two wire harness that bridged between the Fiat three pin adapter and the ECU port. Worked like a dream.

Again, thanks a ton guys.

Ciao
(Post Link) post #100 of 158 Old 13-02-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Cooper View Post
My eternal thanks to you redtop 68 and Peter Feil.

I have sucessfully re set my airbag light and found the fault (Low battery voltage) on my Phase 1 Twinspark Spider. I'll be putting in a new battery today.

Instead of cutting the L - line, I made up a two wire harness that bridged between the Fiat three pin adapter and the ECU port. Worked like a dream.

Again, thanks a ton guys.

Ciao
Another happy GTV owner! Glad I could help!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
airbag , diagnostics , obd , phase , phase1 , solved , trw , trw2