I think I have been ripped off by my garage. - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Silver Member
County: West Sussex

Member car:

Jag STR, V6 GTVs

Originally Posted by tok78 View Post

You have utterly failed to grasp the details of this situation. No matter with whom you agree.

Misunderstanding crept in around the fourth or fifth post. You need to follow the thread and spend less time with the smilies (same to you Clive ;-).

I WILL be mentioning the fact that new brakes have been fitted to the car, as the MOT was a condition of sale.

It would be foolish to withhold information after posting details of the issue on an open forum, that I suggested the purchaser research and join before buying my car?

Please don't make assumptions about my state of mind. I only received any sort of practical advice from one forum member, which I followed.

The upshot of this course of action is that I am giving the garage the benefit of the doubt as other people speak highly of them and I am satisfied (now) that it was a genuine misunderstanding.

Also, regarding the VAT issue - this is covered in a previous post on this thread as well, I did mention it to the garage when I went down the next day to query everything.

I don't think there is much more to say about the matter, unless another forum member wants the last word.
No you've said it all & wasted enough of our time, thank you & enjoy your BMW.

Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: Surrey

I was given the MOT pass certificate (VT20), but no failure certificate (VT30) (I don't think this is correct). The pass date on the MOT certificate was 11:04am, 30th April.

I have not been given a retest certificate following the fitment of the new brake discs, so can only assume that the car passed the MOT.
As one of the guys has said previously, if the Garage are friendly with the MOT station then the MOT station will pass the car if the Garage promise to fix the parts that have failed. Might not be strictly legal, but it does save your garage having to take the car back to the MOT station a second time (you will be charged for this, although it will be hidden in other costs)

If I understand well I have been charged VAT on the MOT, not legal. I have also been informed that I need new brakes in order to pass an MOT that I had already passed.
Nope, you shouldn't have been charged the VAT, surely the easiest way to resolve this would have been to bring it up at the time (do you just pay invoices without looking at them???), if not just give them a ring and I'm sure they would sort it out (after all they don't make any money from the VAT)

Alfa 156 10v 2.4 JTD + AHM fitted Koni FSDs, Eibach Pro Kit Springs,
AHM 200+BHP remap, Q2, 8C Alloys, GTA lights, Leather Interior...

CarPuter Spec: Gigabyte MA785GM Motherboard,2Gb Ram,
AMD Athlon X2 5050e Socket AM2 45W CPU,
K8061 D/A converter, M4 ATX PS, 60Gb SSD, Garmin x20 GPS
AO Silver Member
County: Cardiff
I think guys this thread should be locked off. The OP got his advice early on and now it is running away in a troll like direction
AO Silver Member
County: Hertfordshire
All I would add is: Always get a price for any work at any garage, even if you use them often, as then you know what your in for and there will be no mis-understandings and you won't feel agrieved. But I agree, don't ask for advise and then not take it. Although a lot of people do that. You should have received 10 back for the Vat on the MOT. I don't see why you won't ask for that, but it's a free country.
AO Member
County: East Sussex

Member car:

GTV 3.2 V6

useful info nonetheless

well, I never even knew you don't pay VAT on MOTs until I read this thread - so I will be checking in future!
County: Midlands

Member car:

AO Member
County: Suffolk

Member car:

2000 V6

+1 You guys need a kind of Alfa Fight Club where you can sort all this stuff out..

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

garage , ripped