GTV blowing Blue smoke - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 30-04-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Hertfordshire
GTV blowing Blue smoke

My 96 GTV is blowing blue smoke from the exhaust. I know this is a sign that it's burning oil but how to I fix it? I serviced it around three months ago and I'm inclined to do another on it however the problem was there before.

Any ideas? Solutions? Or fixes?
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Oxfordshire
As I am sure you realise, a service will not fix it. Oil is getting into the pistons and burning - causing the smoke, so you have to stop the ingress.

If it is burning oil all the time it is most likely worn piston rings so you are looking at an engine strip down and new rings and possibly a rebore, depending on the amount of wear.

If it is only at start-up and then disapears it could be the valve seals.

I think how urgently you need to fix it depends on the size of cloud you are leaving behind you and how much oil it is using.

You are positive it is blue? My GTV and the Giulietta both seem to be a lot more condensation heavy when sat in traffic, than other cars I have owned.
AO Silver Member
County: Bedfordshire
The other two possibilities are-
1. A leaky gasket at the variator solenoid. This can let oil into the intake manifold.
2. The idle breather valve being sticky. This is more of a problem on later cars ( CF2 ) rather than the CF1 you have I believe.

To eliminate the piston rings, get a compression test done and if that reveals leaky cylinder(s), then do a 'leak down' test to establish if it is the piston rings.

If you take the oil filler cap off with the engine running, do you get a lot of white smoke out of it?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

blowing , blue , gtv , smoke