Lumpy start up 2 litre GTV (W reg - 2000) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 21-04-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GTV

Lumpy start up 2 litre GTV (W reg - 2000)

Hello all!

My W reg 2 litre GTV has recently had trouble starting. Fires up absolutely fine but struggles to idle for the first few seconds, sometimes cutting out completely. After a few revs the idle settles and there are no further problems at all.

Only happens on the first start up of the day, so was wondering if it might be the air flow meter or lambda sensor? I see you can get second hand tested air flow units from Auto Lusso for about 35 quid so was thinking about getting one and taking it from there?

Any suggestions/comments very much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: KwaZulu-Natal
Hi Jody-GTV, did you ever discover the cause of your problem? Why I ask is that since I removed the Helmholtz Resonator and put in a straight piece of pipe, I have the same issue on cold start up only. Within 20 seconds she clears but idles a bit high for the next 20 sec ( 2000 RPM ).

I also replaced my torn flexi pipe at the same time, with a 120 degree silicone elbow cut to the right length. The breather now goes to a catch - can.

HELP ! !
AO Member
County: Worcestershire

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6

On the rare occasion I get that on mine when starting up. Also it can get a bit bouncy when at idle in traffic, but if I rev it a bit, it steadies. In my case I suspect it's the ICV (idle control valve), because I have renewed maf, lambda, induction hose and spark plugs. Mine's a phase II year 2000.

Last edited by antonius; 03-12-12 at 19:37. Reason: typo

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

2000 , gtv , litre , lumpy , reg , start