More electric roof woes... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 27-03-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Surrey
More electric roof woes...

This is really begining to get on my baps now..

Recently got a new motor as the pin on one side wasnt locking down the roof- replaced, all great as the roof sits flush with the bodywork when the hood is up.

Next the pump stops working- roof may or may not be out of sync with the button, but I've been using the 2 overide switches behind the drivers seat.

Flushed the oil in the reservoir out this afternoon to see if that would help the pump motor- no such luck- the pump just whines, gets hot and does nothing.

Okay I can live with that- manual roof for now, not a problem..

Except that one of the motors that locks the pins in the rear of the hood will only turn one way- it just releases but wont turn the other way, so now my hood wont lock down- at all.

Tested the motor with the connections on the other side, goes both ways.- so motors good.

Overide button clearly works as it powers the opposite side motor- so buttons good.

So, trying to work out if its a broken wire?- dont think its the case otherwise the motor wouldnt work at all?- I'm thinking the switch flips the current between the two to make the motor go backwards and forwards, and the fact that the switch powers the other motor fine leaves me at a loss....

Has anyone got any suggestions?

Coupled with the leaking sump, and probable roof pump replacement, this is really begining to make me doubt whether its worth keeping it.

Its a 2nd/3rd car in the house, and allthough I like/enjoy the DIY side of car ownership, one cr@p problem after another spoils the fun somewhat!

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Antrim

Member car:

GTV Spider

Buddy I can appreciate your pain as although my roof has been working fine I am just at that stage of Alfa paranoia where I just know it is too good to be true. If it pops then I'm not buggering about with it. I'm whipping the electric lot out and putting 2 big locking metal clamps on the tonneau.....manual all the way!!
AO Member
County: Essex
i think your find, each function locked or unlocked in controlled by a separate circuit and has a relay, that could be the fault, see thread
More Spider electrif roof problems . if you can get a wiring diagram for the electric roof that show how those rear hood catches function. if memory serves me well, i believe their is one relay to unlock them both, but two relays, one for left side and one right side to lock them. you might be able to swap them over to ascertin the fault. once you find them see above thread. eletrif speel like that. have fun it,s an alfa

Last edited by phwspider; 13-05-12 at 20:16.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

electric , roof , woes