bad idle and jumpy acceleration - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 12-03-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Greater London
bad idle and jumpy acceleration

Hi guys, i have been having a bit of trouble the last couple of days, where the idle just seems to pulse between 500 / 1000 rpm. you can really feel it inthe cabin, like the whole car is shuddering, it also stutters a bit when pulling away in first gear.

Having read through most of the forum for ideas, i guessed it was most likely the afm causing this or a bad air leak on the intake system.

I tried the afm test by unplugging it to see if it made a difference but the problem remained the same plugged in or not.

I took off the whole intake system, tightened up all the pipes again, cleaned the air filter and still no better.

It gets better after it has been running for 10 minutes or so, which leads me to thinking it might be something to do with cold start not performing properly, or a coolant temperature reader / thermostat. does this sound feasable?

checked the oil and it was a little low and quite black, so will be replacing all oil, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter, ht leads and spark plugs this weekend, as well as all the brakes. The car is still fairly new to me so fancied giving it a bit of tlc anyway for peace of mind.

any other suggestions of what the problem might be?
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Hertfordshire
I'd do the servive first and then see if anything changes or not. It could also be affected by the MAF and or the idle actuating valve, that might need a good clean.
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 19-03-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Greater London
small update with some nice pics,

i managed to get most of the service done on sunday, my first real attempt at playing with this car, so was surprised to find how long it takes to do things that i was expecting to be a 5 minute job. At least i feel like i have learnt something about the car and bonded with it a bit.

did the oil and filter change, that oil filter is a right pain to get at, good job i am skinny and quite flexible.

when i went to disconnect the battery i found this plug hanging down, not sure where it came from, can anyone tell me?

I changed the air filter over for a nice foam pipercross one,

I replaced all 6 of the spark plugs, looks like only 3 of them have been changed as the 3 at the back were very bad, not surprised at the mission it is to take the top inlet off, i was not expecting to have to do this. It's easy enough to do, most of it common sense, it's just time consuming.

also, while the top inlet was off, i decided to finally install the red silicone pipes that i bought off ebay one drunken night.

and all back together looking lovely,

So, after all this, i have still got a slight occasional misfire, and have found some new problems that i need to sort out.

I'm thinking this could be the cause for the misfire, although it must have been like this since i got the car and has only been causing trouble recently. I have just resealed it as best as i can for now, will need to find a second hand part to replace as the nut is snapped off in the hole. does anyone know what the name of the part is called, it's on the front bank of the engine and it also has the injectors plugged into it. some sort of inlet manifold?

one other problem i found that will need sorting asap, rusty oil cooler pipes.

overall a nice satisfying day with the alfa, only minimal cuts and grazes on the knuckles, the sun was out most of the time and i only got rained on twice briefly. looking forward to more summer days playing outside.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

acceleration , bad , idle , jumpy