My red Spider project finished - photos and listing - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 27-02-12 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Medio
Club Member Number: 1265
County: Waikato

Member car:

Gtv V6

Wave My red Spider project finished - photos and listing

Finally I've called time on my red Spider project - while my yellow Spider has had little use, I've been working furiously on this red one.

I thought the best way to proudly show you some pics would be to point you towards the listing - Alfa romeo Spider 1998 | Trade Me - of course, I doubt there will be anyone from NZ who will see this thread, so I am not really posting this as a 'for sale' but rather as a 'feel the relief, it's over' thread.

At the end of last year I replaced the cylinder head gasket, fitted a new cambelt (and did the job again this year, with locking tools), and did something with that awful sticky centre console. I stripped the upholstery off a pair of GTV leather seats and fitted it to the Spider cloth seats. Repaired the left electric window motor, adjusted the windows, repainted the hood cover, fitted a phase-2 grille, new badges.

The last job to get done this year was the gearbox, which had a noisy reverse gear. The wear was mainly on the idler, which got replaced, along with the clutch release bearing and fork bushes, one CV joint, and two CV boots.

I fitted a new stereo the other day, which was a simple plug-and-play operation due to the ISO plugs. The original Pioneer unit (fitted by the importer in NZ) had a few strange quirks - turned off when doors opened, turned on a little while after closing the doors, and couldn't be turned on when the interior light was on. Also the display was hard to read and it skipped.

I have put some work into the red paint, respraying the left side to get half the car into one shade of red, and the other half into the other. I will do my best to avoid ever owning a red car again... Actually I've spent days polishing it and cleaning the windows etc.

Converting the speedo reading (miles) into kilometres for the listing was rather sobering (my yellow Spider was under 100,000km and this one is over 200,000km). But then again, my yellow Spider cost twice the price I'm asking for the red one.

One thing - the engine in the red one still pulls better than the engine in the yellow one, plus the clutch is a lot lighter - so the first job to do on the yellow one when I get chance will be to replace the clutch, and ideally find some of the lost power, particularly at the bottom end.

Still, with summer drawing to a close here, at least I got the red one on the market before I go over to Australia next month (a business trip of several weeks).

'00 GTV V6, '08 FIAT 500, shell and parts for a '71 FIAT 850 Coupe

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

finished , listing , photos , project , red , spider