Do your radiator fans come on with A/C? V6 GTV - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 25-02-12 Thread Starter
County: South Australia

Member car:

1998 GTV V6

Do your radiator fans come on with A/C? V6 GTV

Gents (as Gals if applicable),

I purchased a 1998 GTV V6 about a month ago and so far so good but....

Yesterday when driving around town in 42 degree (C) weather, the air conditioner went hot and the engine temperature started to rise above 90. I babied it home (no air cond, constant 60 km/h in 4th) but the temp hovered around 110C

When I got home, I noticed that I couldn't hear any thermo fans. I found that two relays had stopped working (1st and 2nd fan speeds). I almost couldn't believe it... I tested each of them twice thinking i'd made a mistake. I suspect that one of them failed some time ago and I never detected it.

Anyway.... I replaced the relays and now I have both high and low fan speeds but.... when I turn on the air conditioner, the compressor cuts in but the fans won't start unless the engine gets to 90 degree mark.

I believe that the fans should come on as soon as the air cond is on regarless of if the engine is cold or hot.

Can anyone else confirm if their fans come on with the air con even when the engine is cold?

Cheers Matt.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member

Member car:

P2 GTV 3.0

No ... do they? Surely not?
AO Member
County: -
Im not sure Matt - I think my fans come on when the engine is cold sometimes when Im just starting the car. And I always have the Air Cond on.

Btw All Aussie Alfa people chat on this Aussie site

AO Silver Member
County: Bedfordshire
Other than normal engine temperature operation, fan operation also depends on the refrigerant pressure.

At the lowest refrigerant pressure, the fans do not operate. As pressure builds up, the fans operate first at the slow speed and at higher pressure at the 2nd speed. This is independent of engine temperature. The engine can be cold, but if the refrigerant is at high pressure, the fans will operate.

This is controlled by the A/C 'trinary' pressure switch in conjunction with the fan delay device on the V6.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

a or c , fans , gtv , radiator