Fitting springs? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 21-02-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: Staffordshire
Fitting springs?

My lowering spring arrived this morning so i want to fit them tomorrow if poss, the only problem is i have a window of 3 hours to fit them. Im out with the mrs in the morning most likely untill lunch (1ish) then i pick my little boy up from after school just after four and i need the car for that.

I have spring claps and have watch a few videos on you tube, do you take the whole suspension leg off the front or can you replce the spring without removing it?

so is 3 hours enought time, and is there anything i should watch out for?

cheers Jon
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Greater London
is it just two springs or all four you are doing?

have you done this or similar before?

i've not done it on the GTV yet myself but 99% sure you will need to take the whole shock off to replace the spring, probably not on the back.

i would say it can be done in 3 hours if you have an idea of what you are doing, if not i wouldn't risk your little boy waiting outside school while you are still at home up to your eyeballs in grease.
AO Silver Member
County: Hampshire

Member car:

GTV twinspark

It took me 2 hours to do one rear spring, this included cleaning/tidying the bumpstop cup, rubber pads, and giving the spring pan a lick of paint. So 1 hour is doable per side for the rear.

Front is a whole different ball game, you need to remove the strut + top mount off the car and getting the nut off the top of the strut is not much fun.

Probably not doable without a impact gun, unless you destroy the strut. (I chopped the spring off, ground a flat in the shaft, clamped the shaft in a vice!)

The bolts that hold the strut to the hub are also fairly hard going unless they have been off recently.. lots of penetrating fluid and running back and forth to clear the rust off the end of the bolt.
AO Member
County: Uppsala

Member car:

GTV 3.0 24 v -98

Three hours in theory yes, but if you haven’t done it before I think you should calculate with more time. There are lots of things that can go wrong - bolts that snap or are stuck etc. It could also be a bit tricky to align the spring pan with the bolt when you change the rear springs. Its not a very difficult job, but with your little boy waiting I would not chance....

/Olle D
AO Silver Member
County: Antrim

Member car:

Give yourself a a full day to get it done mate. It's not overly complicated but I couldn't get the front spring out without an impact gun and the rears can be quite awkward to get realigned. From memory I had the back of the car on axle stands and had to jack the spring pan back into place with a trolley jack. Even then it took a few goes.

Once you start putting time limits on it you can almost guarantee things will go wrong That coupled with your frustration if it does could make for a long day!!!
AO Gold Member
County: Brokopondo
I reckon you could do the rear both sides in your time allocation, the fronts however can be as said a pig at every turn. At the rear just remove the the long bolt that tie the hub to spring pan and dog leg and then just pull spring off. If you want to tidy as ian recommends then you would need to work quick in order for the new paint on spring pans to dry.
AO Silver Member
County: -
I made a how-to about a year back for this - although the mods never pinned it.

If you do a search it you should find it.

Short answer: 3hrs - not a chance. A day at least, depending on how many rusted bolts you come across. The whole suspension turret has to come out - I ended up shearing some bolts, which required ordering new ones with a 3 day lead time from Alfa.
AO Silver Member
County: Warwickshire

Member car:

GTV 2.0

How to do it in 3 hours:

Pull front turrets out and take them to a nearby garage... pay them to unbolt and replace springs.

Meanwhile, unbolt spring pan from each side and drop the springs out. Put new springs in and bolt spring pan back on. Go get front turrets from garage and refit to front.

I rekon that would take me at least 3 hours and I've taken it all apart before.
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader
County: Bedfordshire
It is possible to change the rear springs without undoing a single bolt

Front a bit more difficult, not hard

If you have the right mind set and are well prepared you can do it in 3 hours (I would expect any of my technicians to)

AO Member
County: Surrey

Member car:

GTV 3.0 24V

Just idol stipulation but with a spring compressor and a axle stand the rear should be do-able without undoing a bolt

Last edited by BADfish10; 22-02-12 at 08:44.
AO Silver Member
County: West Sussex

Member car:

Jag STR, V6 GTVs

Originally Posted by EauRouge View Post
At the rear just remove the the long bolt that tie the hub to spring pan and dog leg and then just pull spring off.
Especially if on a tight time schedule remove the inner springpan mounting bolt rather than the long outer one, much easier & quicker as the outer has a habit of seizing, use a jack underneath the springpan to hold & then compress the spring.

AO Silver Member
County: Lancashire
To answer your question, to do all 4 and never done it before i would say 3 hrs is optermistic, turtle has the best idea if your in a rush but allow more time as there will be things you find you feel you might want to grease or clean up before you reassemble, because if you dont do them it will bug the life out of you...

PS: your PAS pump is now in the post, going back to work after the op was a little more of a shock to the system than i wanted to admit. And i dont want any money its only sitting in the shed, people had done me favours on AO and its only right i return it the favour where possable..

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

fitting , springs