Car Park accident - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 19-02-12 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Kent

Member car:

GTV Lusso 3.0

Car Park accident

I live in a block of flats (4 floors in a rectangle shape). The parking is a 2.5 car wide strip of concrete down either side of the building in front of the garages (raised about 1ft off the surrounding land), it is for residents only and you are supposed to park roughly in front of your garage.

I came back on Thursday night to find one of the older residents had badly parked his car and I couldn't get into my usual space, so parked right down the end to stay out of everyone's way.

When I came down to my car yesterday I found someone had parked about 5ft from the rear of my car but in the middle of the concrete strip rather than at the edge. I looked at it and judged that there was enough space between the car and the side of the building to drive town if I could get my car out.

I reversed and swung hard round (being directed by my GF) when I felt a drop and heard a bang. In swinging the car out the front wheel had come off the concrete and the whole car had fallen the the floor and was sat on the wishbone and stiffening plate.

Using a pallet I found in a skip I built up a little platform and drove the car onto it (so the car was off the floor) and then reversed backwards back onto the car park. I couldn't see any damage when I looked under the car, is there anything in this area I should be doubly concerned about?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg accident.jpg (10.5 KB, 38 views)

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Warwickshire

Member car:

GTV 2.0

Sounds like you got away with it

The ARB droplink might be a bit buggered, that is all I can think of.

Makes me think of those nice deep concrete gutters you get on the motorway central reservation
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 479
County: Norfolk
Just have a good detailed inspection of the running gear, sooner rather than later. If your car drives alright, as Turtle says you may have got away with it.
AO Silver Member
County: Lancashire
To be honest i'd only really be worried about the sump, most other surfaces under the car at some point some where a thick tyre fitter will have lifted a car on these contact points.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

accident , car , park