147 info required. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
147 info required.

A friend of mine is looking at buying a 147, 1.6ts (51 plate) can someone please tell me what he should look out for. Also how much would it cost for a Campbell change, should idlers be replaced also?

Before anyone says 'post it in the 147 section' I have already and awaiting feedback, however I frequent this area more and have received some useful info from you bods so thought I would try here too

Many thanks
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member

Member car:

P2 GTV 3.0

Cost to change name from Campbell?!!

alfa Workshop have fixed price for cambelt on their website, Autolusso et al also have fixed price.
Club Member
Membro Medio
Club Member Number: 1265
County: Waikato

Member car:

Gtv V6

A Campbell change - is that something to do with soup?
The 1.6 engine doesn't have balance shafts, so that's one less belt and tensioner to do.

I think there are two different 1.6TS engines. One has only 105bhp, the other has 120bhp. See Alfa Romeo 147 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I'm not certain but I think the lower-powered one doesn't have a variator (so no variable valve timing on the inlet cam).

Personally I would go for a 2.0TS... better performance, still good economy, and better resale value... but then, I'd go for a Selespeed too I like my 156 Selespeed so much, I wanted to put a Selespeed into my Spider...

'00 GTV V6, '08 FIAT 500, shell and parts for a '71 FIAT 850 Coupe
Haha. Cheers guys. I don't know what engine it is. Ideally looking for a ball park figure for a cam-belt change
Global Mod Team
County: Suffolk
We've got a 147 1.6 TS and it is a 51 plate - had it for 11 years. I'll assume the one you are going for is the 120 bhp one - not many 105 bhp ones were importeed I believe.

Do all of the checks you would do on any 11 year old car and in particular:-

Always change the variator with the cambelt - our local indy does it for less than £400.
Check for odd tyre wear - more likely to be suspension bushes than tracking. Odd clumping sounds on uneven roads are also common and bush related.
Check that the flexi pipe on the exhaust isn't leaking - these are expensive but you can get them welded up for £100 or so.
Check all of the lights are working as they should - we had a slight glow from a rear bulb all of the time - turned out to be the "body computer" (PCB I guess) - £330.
Check the underneath - the underseal has started to go on ours - slight rust - once the weather improves I'll get it sorted.
Check whether the plugs need replacing (every 60k) they are expensive although you can get them at reduced prices online (Shop 4 Parts are good for example).

Ours has now done 150k, has been regularly serviced and apart from the odd hiccup (like the cambelt going at 32k and a subsequent £1600 repair bill - that was 9 years ago) has been reliable.

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Rules - AO Gallery - AO Classified adverts - AO Club - AO Traders
AO Silver Member
County: East Sussex
Give Kevin a call at Alfamania.co.uk he is in West Sussex and does cambelt changes at £200 extra if you need a variator.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

If he wants a 147 shouldn't he look at several? I talked someone out of a Selespeed at a trader as they'd basically imagined that exact car into their life and what extras they were going to install into it once it was theirs. Knowing about most of the possible issues and the way they seemed besotted with this specific car I told them of the cambelt interval, the variators, consumable wishbones, the Selespeed, Smaky etc. etc. and told them to compare it to other 147s that may be available.

It was a nice shade with a nice interior but they needed to get it thoroughly checked and know what state of repair it was in and what big service bills could've been just around the corner. They bought something else instead that's more prestigious, bigger but less for them to insure and less juicy but I'm not convinced they've had that checked out either as that's just become their baby and they've spent loads getting that up and together.

On the plus side when I mentioned to them a car here that caught my eye but was a 400 mile round trip they did offer to help me go to collect it.
Cheers guys, bloody predictive text will a 'Campbell' change and a repaint to blue make it go quicker?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

147 , info , required