I have a "new" Gtv :o) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 18-12-11 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member
County: Good old Sussex by the sea

Member car:

The train :(

Wave I have a "new" Gtv :o)

Following the demise of Lucea:

Last Saturday (the 10th), I picked up the Gtv that Simon was considering sending to the great Gtv graveyard in the sky

So, she is a phase 1 Gtv twinspark registered in October 1998, in the colour of red. However I am advised that it's had a very comprehensive respray, as this car is blue!

I already like the blue colour more than silver (I did buy that car with my heart!) and there are paintwork touch ups and a few scratches here and there but overall it is in a reasonable condition. The side repeaters are clear.

I wasn't impressed by the handling to start with but a visit to the air pump and an extra 8psi has made the difference! Plus the tyres are as good as non branded - something similar to Wanli. New ones beckon soon.

On to the engine and the throttle response is a wee bit swifter than Lucea but the engine does not sound like the twinspark engine. It's done 107,600 miles but there is no obvious change in the noise that I would expect about 3,500 / 4,000 rpm and I kind of miss that. So the sound makes it feel like a different car from the previous one, however this is offset by the stainless steel exhaust and sports catalytic converter .

I think this is a couple of months newer than Lucea, so there are a couple of things that may have been modified which I have noticed: the wipers are activated in a downward motion only, so they go straight on to intermittent (which works properly - hurrah) and they don't do the annoying double swipe (hurrah again). Also, there are lights in both the footwells

Jobs to do

I think it requires a new variator, I started it from warm on the drive back from Lincoln and experienced the diesel like clatter on start up.

There's a sunroof but it has gaffer tape over the edges. From what I have read on here, the drainage channels require blowing out (how is this done?) and then possibly a new seal should be used, can anyone recommend where I would get a new one?

The air conditioning doesn't work, however I have to use its switch to activate the fan. It is either off, or on full blast.

Relocate the tweeter that has fallen behind the doorcard and then put in my 16 year old Sony - it's still better than the OE! Plus point, the aerial works

Bonnet needs a slight bit of height adjustment as it sits on the bumper when it is closed - on the driver's side only. On the plus side, the bonnet open light is not continuously on, so I'm happy.

The front skirt has been repaired using epoxy or something and needs a respray. I'll try to post up a picture of it and see what you people suggest.

Bits to cannibalise from the silver flash:
The interior needs a bit of attention - rear is scruffy and the bolster on the driver's seat is coming apart, so I shall use the interior.

Transfer the chrome kick plates, rear light strip and fuel filler flap and anything else I find that is missing / broken.

The driver's side door lock is a bit fiddly (I thought I managed to break it on the first morning when it ther was a frost) and someone might have tried to force it some point. So I'll try and transfer those over. Does anyone know if it is possible to transfer the actual mechanism i.e. so that can continue to use the same key? Or is that a really fiddly job and I should just put up with using two keys?

Oh and it needs a new battery in the alarm fob. Radicalmachine - I have the all important brown master key.....

That's all that I can think of for the moment (and I've waffled on enough already) - it's good to be back on the road!

Oh and a big thank you to Simon, who sold me the car. Thank you sir
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Kent

Member car:

Glad your happy with the new GTV, will look forwards to seeing it soon
(Post Link) post #3 of 6 Old 18-12-11 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member
County: Good old Sussex by the sea

Member car:

The train :(

Cheers Andy, looking forward to seeing your new machine as well

Just had a look at the tyres, I have:
1 * Regal I think this is a reinforced tyre, the rubber sits a good 5mm over the wheel rim.
2 * Marshall I thought they made amplifiers?
1 * Marangoni
Club Member
Membro Medio
Club Member Number: 1265
County: Waikato

Member car:

Gtv V6

Nice! Is it an original blue, i.e. the Alfa blue or some other blue? Still nice either way but I guess you'll need to figure it out to do the respray of the bumper.

The no-obvious-change-in-the-noise and the diesel-like clatter could be telling you that the variator is not only noisy, but not working properly. My 156 had a noisy variator and after replacing it, I found the engine pulled much more smoothly through that mid-range. May be a coincidence, but seems like quite a strong coincidence to me General opinion is that the noisy variator does no harm but I believe it does alter the performance.

Sunroof - well, good luck with that one... On other cars I've found that the sunroof seal can sometimes be bulked out with silicone or installed over tape to make it a tighter fit. Generally though it is likely to be a drainage problem - the seal is never really a seal, the system is designed to cope with a small leak (that's why the drainage is there). An air compressor comes in really useful for this sort of thing. Pour some water in around the open sunroof and you should see it exit under the car. Ensure it hasn't been draining into the floor (I don't know about the GTV but that was a problem on a 166 I had. I actually hate sunroofs... the marginal headroom must be even less...)

I'm sure you'll sort out the heater fan using the resistor and wiring from your now-spares car. Do you plan to strip your other car for spares? Might be worth more as parts than as a whole? I guess you'll have already checked for structural rust in both and decided which one gets to stay on the road. Sometimes it's a tough decision but it needs to be made. As a teenager I was given a second Austin Princess (cough) which was actually better all round than the one I was 'restoring' - but I'd gone so far I decided to carry on and the second one got used for parts instead. So I've been in a similar situation to what you find yourself in!

Door locks - perhaps it just needs some lubrication but yes, the mechanism can be transferred. It all starts with removing the clip that holds the lock in the door panel - it just slides out. Then you find a circlip that holds the lock barrel in - it helps to have the right key in the lock as you're trying to remove it.

Tyres - well, you have another set of wheels and tyres waiting to go on

Look forward to seeing how you go with this project

'00 GTV V6, '08 FIAT 500, shell and parts for a '71 FIAT 850 Coupe

Last edited by alexGS; 18-12-11 at 10:48.
AO Member
County: Greater Manchester
Hiya pal, the drainage chanels were the bain of my life with soggy carpets. The sunroof has four drain points, two at front and two at rear, quite simple really. When you get access to this from losening all the bits for the headlining you will see a the tubes which connect down the body to front and rear. New hose clips required.My advice is take the scuttle trays off and blow an airline down them but be prepared for the mess at the other end! Take the interior panels at the side of the front windscreen off and you will see them (and if they are clogged). Mine had broken glass in them that doesnt move very easily....Once done look at the smile on your face when you see the water passing through.
AO Member
County: Hants

Member car:

GT...Golf GT

If you can open the sunroof the drain holes are visible in the drain pan in the roof aperture.

I blew mine through with an air line and then poured hot soapy water down each hole using a small funnel before blasting them with the air line again.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider