Ignition key won't turn/steering won't unlock - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By alastpa
  • 1 Post By alastpa

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 13-12-11 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 1265
County: Waikato

Member car:

Mostly my Golf 7

Madness Ignition key won't turn/steering won't unlock

I don't think there's an easy answer to this one, but here goes anyway just in case anyone has any suggestions...

Red '98 Spider, while reinstalling centre console and wanting to test the lights, I pressed the button under the ignition key, and turned the key backwards to 'Park'. Side lights and heater control lights etc. came on, great.

Then I found the key would turn forward (to 'Stop'), lights went off, but the key won't turn any further!

Thinking the steering lock was engaged, I refitted the steering wheel (which happened to be off) and turned it. Then the steering lock really was engaged, and the key still wouldn't turn clockwise past Stop.

I tried fastening the steering wheel on properly (doing up the nut), in case the column has slipped inwards, but no change. I used the spare, unworn key for the car. That turns more easily to Park (with button pressed), and back to Stop, and it's easier to pull out and put in. But it won't turn past Stop.

I sprayed in lots of penetrating oil, which again made the key easier to turn between Stop and Park. I have tried turning the steering hard against the steering lock in both directions while wiggling and turning the key. Still the key won't turn past Stop.

I even tried the key from my other Spider. That won't turn to Park. It's easy with the right key, therefore, I think the lock tumblers must be working.

I feel that the steering lock has somehow jammed, even though the steering lock wasn't even on when the key first refused to turn.

Of course now I can't get the steering wheel off, so I can't get the column covers off - two of the screws are obscured by the steering wheel, which obviously can't turn. In the morning I will use an old pair of small pliers, some washers to span the handles, and a couple of long bolts in the specially-threaded holes, to draw the wheel off the column.

After that I guess I will remove the lock barrel and if that's no help, I'll have to drill/grind the steering lock off the column...

Grrrrrrr!

-Alex

'07 166 3.0V6 Sportronic, '08 FIAT 500, '03 Stilo Abarth, '13 Golf TSi, '08 G Spyder, shell and parts for a '71 FIAT 850 Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Greater Manchester
I'm sure you've already checked, but is the little button under the lock stuck? I had a similar problem some time ago & the button wasn't releasing properly & that prevented the key moving normally.
(Post Link) post #3 of 10 Old 13-12-11 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Medio

Member car:

Mostly my Golf 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginettajohn View Post
I'm sure you've already checked, but is the little button under the lock stuck? I had a similar problem some time ago & the button wasn't releasing properly & that prevented the key moving normally.
Thanks - button seems to work but seems likely that would be the problem, since this all started after I pressed the button. Probably first time in many years because it's an NZ-new car and almost no-one parks with park lights on in NZ.

-Alex

(Post Link) post #4 of 10 Old 14-12-11 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Medio

Member car:

Mostly my Golf 7

Making some progress now - got the wheel and column covers off. Tried to remove steering column - got the bottom UJ off (slow and painful) but can't get the adjustable bolt/release handle out, even with fuse box out of the way. There just isn't space to get it out (the service manual suggests there is). Tried to drive out the round-ended pin (part of clamping mechanism), no good.

After all the whacking, the key turned to 'On' in a freak accident so the lock barrel can be removed. Problem appears to be slackness in the pawl that disengages the steering lock. If I could get the frustrating greasy alloy guts out, I could probably fix it, or remove the steering lock completely perhaps, provided that allows the key to turn (at the moment it doesn't).

Next move is probably still the same anyway - grind/drill out the shear-headed bolts. I tried using a punch to undo them (as shown in the manual) but that just chewed up the heads.

Why does everything have to be so difficult? Five hours spent on this and not fixed, just more of a mess than ever!

-Alex
pkr
AO Silver Member

County: Bedfordshire
That part of the steering column is only supported by that black bar with two nuts at the A pillar, a bolt at the tunnel and another bolt* that sandwiches the heater unit between the support bar and the crossmember. Why not undo those fastenings and take the whole lot out of the car?

Pic of the bar here :
http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...5_DSC_0139.jpg

and with the gubbins removed -
http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/...2_DSC_0075.jpg

Caveat : There may be one additional bolt. There's a flat piece of steel going between the steering column structure and the crossmember behind the dashboard. I can't remember if it interferes with taking this bit out.

* Not sure how accessible this is with the dashboard in place though.
pkr
AO Silver Member

County: Bedfordshire
Sorry, a bit more complicated than that. There's a bolt that helps mount the dashboard in the main instrument cavity. It goes into the hole just to the left of the green connector in the first picture.

County: Denmark

Member car:

GTV 916

Same problem

How did you fix it?

I have eksakte problem!!

Alfa Romeo 916 GTV 1995 Can not turn the ignition switch forward?
AO Silver Member

County: Johannesburg
That's classic broken ignition switch problem. I've had it happen twice on two different cars. You'll need a new ignition switch. I'd also suggest never using the 'Park' light position on the ignition switch. It's a known weak spot.
Labeo likes this.

County: Denmark

Member car:

GTV 916

How do I get it out? The key must be turn in ignition position to pull it out and the key can not turn forward.
Is it enough to change the lock cylinder or should it all be changed.
AO Silver Member

County: Johannesburg
That part I can't help with. I ended up taking it to a dealer to sort out. It's just the ignition switch itself that needs replacing. The lock cylinder etc all stays. The switch is just a rubbish bit of plastic....not very nice at all.
Labeo likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
ignition , key , turn or steering , unlock

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page