I've had my 2.0 TS GTV a week now and bought it knowing I needed to essentially treat it as a project and spend some money on getting it good.
Stuff I knew I'd have to deal with when I bought it were a stuck aerial, the airbag light and the engine management light (service history shows it's a cam position sensor fault?) and a new timing belt and variator. It's off for it's NCT (Irish MOT) shortly so I can find out anything else that needs doing to get it through the test before the current one runs out, but I'm hopeful enough.
I do have a few questions though if you can bear with me?
1. There is no grab handle the drivers door side, and I originally thought it had been ripped off, but from reading on here it appears it doesn't come as standard? Just has two clips instead of the fittings?
2. I can get my aerial up and down if I do it manually, does that bode well for giving it a good spray with silicone, or should I look at replacing it?
3. The engine temp takes an age to warm up, heating vents are good and kick in quickly but the temp stays low on the engine for a good ten miles, is this the same thermostat issue as was on the 156? I.e. it needs to be replaced?
4. The clutch "biting point" compared to my 156 is very high and the brakes are much softer, got a shock when I first had to really use them, is this normal.?
5. I broke the door handle closing my door on my coat, so my mechanic is looking at that this week and replacing the door check strap too, as I've the Creak halfway through opening the door. My drivers door window rattles something awful doing city driving, and halfway up closing it sounds like it is moving, so I was going to ask him to check the fittings for it and tighten then, does that sound a good idea?
6. I've been looking into how to do basic detailing, once I get her through the nct, then I'll look to repair a rust past on the rear wheel sill, and a really good detail,( by a professional) then want to keep doing it myself, any products you recommend?
7. I'm pondering whether to replace the original alloys post nct with 156 teledials and spacers, or to get the alloys refurbed? Thoughts?
8. Finally, the rear of the current exhaust looks as if it's been battered off a few ramps, any suggestions for replacements?
Thanks in advance