How To Open a Faulty Recirc Flap - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 08-12-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Surrey
How To Open a Faulty Recirc Flap

This is a how to for people that suffer with GTVs that dont demist due to a faulty recirculation flap.

To diagnose whether your recird flap is faulty in a ph. 1 GTV, press the recirc button with the igniton only on. If you dont hear a motor turning by the passenger footwell, there is a good chance that your motor is broken.

To get the recirc flap out of recirc you will need to do the following:-

Remove the three 5mm allen key bolts on the bottom of the glovebox.
Remove the five(?) small allen key bolts inside the glovebox.

This will allow the glovebox to drop down away from the dashboard. Undo the glovebox light connector and you can remove the glovebox fully.

If you look into the hole where the glovebox was, you will see a flat piece of foam above the fan motor. This is the recirc flap. If it is angled towards the front of the car, it is in recirc. To get it out of recirc youll need to get the flap pulled towards you.

In order to do this, youll need to disconnect the motor. First undo the electrical connector which feeds the recirc flap motor. This is located to the left of the recirc flap. Its a small black connector.

Then, connected to the motor, you will see a small metal rod which comes from the recird flap motor and joins to the flap itself. This is on the left of the flap. There is a small plastic Alfa rod connector on the end of the rod. All you need to do is unhook the plastic clip from the rod and pull out the rod.

This will leave the flap "flapping"(!) about in its chamber. All I did was used some silver lagging tape, although any other super sticky tape will do, and I taped the flap so it is pulled away from the front of the car.

Obvoiusly you wont be able to use the recirc mode, but its a hell of a lot easier than replacing the motor, and cheaper!

Then all you need to do is replace the glovebox. Dont forget to plug the light connector back in!

Hope this helps demist everyones screens this winter!!
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Greater Manchester
I've never heard a motor engage when I use the recirc button on my phase1 & don't have much of a problem demisting the screen - perhaps its stuck on vent?
AO Gold Member
County: Kent
Recirc is such a waste of time IMO, I never use it.
AO Member
County: Greater Manchester
You've obviously never been stuck in the Tyne tunnel Mitch
AO Silver Member
County: Hampshire

Member car:

GTV twinspark

Some electrical ramblings here when mine "broke"
County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

916 GTV 2.0

Faulty Recirculation Flap Motor

I have a phase 1 2.0 GTV, and had the same problem with constantly misting up windows.

Having followed Tom's advice at the top of this thread (thanks Tom), I found that the flap was stuck in the recirculate position. I've disconnected the motor and taped the flap "open".

I noticed that with the ignition on, the motor felt warm: I'm assuming this indicates a faulty motor.

Does anybody know how many screws hold the motor to the housing? I think there are two. I managed to undo the screw facing the inside of the car, but can't get a screwdriver onto the screw closer to the bulkhead. I think that it may be possible to get a small cranked screwdriver in there but don't have one - yet!

One thing that I hadn't realised is that, according to the handbook, setting the fan speed control to "Off" puts the system in recirculate mode. Thus the flap / motor was getting much more use than I had thought.

BTW this is my first post on the forum, which has been very useful in understanding some of the quirks of the GTV, so wanted to say thanks to all the contributors.
AO Silver Member
County: Hampshire
Good call! Mine doesen't appear to do anything when the button's pressed.. Somethig else for the 'to do' list.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

faulty , flap , open , recirc