Switched 12v for head unit - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 20-11-11 Thread Starter
County: -

Member car:

Switched 12v for head unit

Hi guys
Just picked up our '99 GTV 2.0 TS yesterday and spent most of today washing, hoovering, polishing, etc! I have a couple of issues, one being the previous owner put standard wiper blades on and tie wrapped the washer pipes on so thats the first job to sort.
Second is there's no switched 12v feed to the Sony head unit. I did a search on here and found a few threads but the general consensus seems to be to just live with it as leaving the ignition on without the engine running so people can listen to music while stationary is not a good thing to do. However, this isn't a problem for me as I don't sit in the car without the engine running, I drive to work and I drive home. So I really would like to find a switched 12v from somewhere but have no idea where to look (apparantly the fag lighter socket is permantly live)
Without having to tap into fuze boxes, does anyone know where I can pick one up, maybe off the ignition barrel somewhere?
Thanks for any advice and info guys.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Bedfordshire

Member car:

Rosso/Tan GTV V6

I definitely have a switched 12v I use... hmmmmmm was such a long time ago. I feel like it was the cigarette lighter that was switched.
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL
The Cig Lighter is permanently " Live " on some cars and not on others. On my 97 P1 it is permanently live, suspect that this was changed on later cars but don't know when. Easy to check if yours is switched or not.

For the Wipers treat yourself to a pair of Wipex Blades, these have built in spray units and work very well, look better too. Cost about 25 from eBay. I think that one Blade is 19" and the other 21", just check before you buy.
I got some flat wiper blades for 5 for the pair and cable tied the sprayers to them
AO Member
County: Carmarthenshire

Member car:

You can buy an ignitor from somewhere like amazon. They normally use them for hands free kits in VW canbus wired cars. In CANBUS the circuits are constantly live they send a signal to turn on and off. The ignitor is connected to a permanent live and measures noise on the line from the engine. when the engine is on it gives a switched live when off its off. cost about 16 quid. Probably as easy to run a wire from the fuse box tho.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

12v , head , switched , unit