Cheap black headlining?? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 10-11-11 Thread Starter
County: Bristol

Member car:

gtv TS Lusso

Thumbs Up Cheap black headlining??

Just though I'd post details of my latest cheap fix for my old Phase1 gtv!

The latest issue was a sagging headlining which got so bad it used to sit on my head while driving!

Anyway after trying to finding a new complete headlining, it was obvious that they just aren't available from the usual second hand sources as I was told they 'crease' when removed through the door opening. New foam backed headlining material is about £50 of ebay and needs to be applied with high temp glue which looked a bit tricky.

So with nothing to loose I pulled off the plastic plugs/clips at the back and sides (which were tricky not to break), unbolted the grab handles and removed windscreen side trims hiding a secret bolt (these just pop off carefully!) and removed courtesy light cluster. The whole headlining then just pulls down as attached to car metal with velcro! I then removed the passenger seat so it could be jiggled out of the passenger door (bit or bending and swearing needed here).

The old vinyl/plastic layer 'fell' off the cardboard former leaving all the foam still attached. I scrubbed this off with a bit of water and a nail brush, but doing it again I would be a bit more careful not to damage the paper lining under the foam to much (as the fluffy cardboard core is revealed).

With the cardboard former cleaned up (mine had mould growing on the back of it!), I then sanded it down lightly and applied 4 good coats of black vinyl silk emulsion bought from B&Q using a small fluffy emulsion roller which gave a nice slightly textured effect (this top tip came of the mini forum!).

Once dry it looks very smart and now back in the car (and touched up where it scuffed/bent getting the stupid thing back in) it looks the business as I always wanted black headlining. I Painted the sun visors too and they don't look too bad.

To sum up...a cheap fix, and not too much swearing involved! Not sure how long it will last but least I can wear a small hat again and it can be recoated anytime with any colour I fancy....

Must just finish by saying this is a top forum, without it I would have sold the gtv by now...!
Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Medio
Club Member Number: 1265
County: Waikato

Member car:

Gtv V6

Sounds clever - show us some pics!

Recovering with headlining material is fairly easy, but the glue is a pain if it doesn't work. I did a BMW 325 years ago and it looked great. However, I used the same type of glue and same material to do a 164 and it all fell down after two weeks! The foam was undamaged but the glue had simply let go of it I had cleaned the backing surface thoroughly (as you discovered, it isn't the original glue that fails but instead the foam disintegrates).

You would think if the new glue stuck for an hour it would be good forever, but no. Although the material weighs bugger all, gravity still takes its toll.

For my Uno Turbo, I couldn't get black headlining so I used black speaker box carpet. It has lasted well (eight years now), nice warm fuzzy look.

'00 GTV V6, '08 FIAT 500, shell and parts for a '71 FIAT 850 Coupe

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

black , cheap , headlining