TS low on power?....don't put your foot down. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 27-10-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Hampshire

Member car:

TS low on power?....don't put your foot down.

Had a nasty experience a few days ago. Noticed the old girl was down on power and I put my foot flat to the floor - she was struggling to go up a hill. Loud bang and the engine sounded loud and rough. I pulled over and the first thing I saw was a mass of what looked like glass fibre loft insulation hanging from the underside at back of the car. On looking underneath I saw that my centre section silencer box had blown clean open.

On looking through the wreckage, I noted that the silencer's internals were badly corroded, whereas the external parts seemed fine. I do a lot of short journeys, so that may explain the corrosion.

It could have been good that the centre section blew, fitting a new centre section would be cheaper than me spending a fortune trying to find out why the power was down (MAF / lambdas / cranck sensor etc). Except I had had a new Alfaholics stainless steel rear section fitted only 4 days before and the stuffing from the centre section had been forced into the rear section and the garage couldn't get it out. Had to buy a new rear section in addition to the centre section.
Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Medio
Club Member Number: 1265
County: Waikato

Member car:

Gtv V6

That is actually really helpful, your post, as I'm starting to add up a few facts about my Spider... :chin:

- Lack of power
- Unwilling to rev
- quiet 'snuffly' sound underneath
- lots of rust on all-original exhaust boxes and pipes, strangely no leaks

I think what I'm hearing is the sound of a blocked muffler. Maybe I should rev it more so it blows apart like yours

Well sell the rear section....someone here will buy it and clear it I'm sure
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 28-10-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Hampshire

Member car:

I made sure I held on to the first one - I wasn't going to leave it to the garage to dispose of.

Alfaholics tell me that the manufacturer is prepared to open it up and clean it out. No idea of the cost though. I wouldn't try to do it myself, but I know there are a lot of much more technically gifted people here who might be able to do this themselves. If anyone is interested, pm me.

What I will say though (trying not to sound like a salesman) is that it really is beautifully made. After having the first one on and then losing it, I wasn't going to have anything else fitted.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

foot , low , powerdont , put