Rear acoustic resonance damper removal? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rear acoustic resonance damper removal?

Hi folks,
My ragazzon quad exit exhaust is slightly fouling on the large weight at the rear right corner of my spider.

I was once told this is for resonance damping to improve stability at speed. Is this true? Have many removed it? Does it make much difference?
My exhaust rattles against it and it is stopping the exhaust from sitting perfectly.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Essex

Member car:

alfa spider

i took mine off when i was undersealing the car ,and i have left it off, and to be honest i can not notice any difference at all , but i do have koni shocks and eibach springs 17inch wheels and front strut brace, and now the hard top is back on the car i cant feel any scuttle shake at all
Club Member
Membro Medio
Club Member Number: 1265
County: Waikato

Member car:

Gtv V6

I find it amazing that a dumbell attached to the corner helps to damp out the wiggles at the front of the car... I guess it must function at some precise speed and frequency... I'd love to know how it works! It must have been put there for a reason - everything added to a car costs money... I don't think it has any acoustic properties, otherwise it would have been fitted to the GTV.

AO Member
County: Edinburgh

Member car:

alfa spider

Taken mine off to fit my quad I powerflexed the rear not much diff in MHO
AO Silver Member
County: Warwickshire

Member car:

GTV 2.0

Engineers probably had the car on a 4 post rig and found it helped significantly at a certain condition... but the real world is quite different, especially after 10 years of wear and tear.
Well I bit the bullet and took it off so I could seat my exhaust properly. Weighs about the same as my original exhaust.
Found no difference in handling.
AO Member
its a mass damper, similar to stuff that stop tall buildings falling over
I took mine off - removed 1% of the cars weight
I made my own mass damper out of the battery which is twice as heavy and its already there. I removed the metal star and fitted acoustic matt under the battery and then stapped it with a bungee cord- WOW, I can't explain the tarnsformation its incerdible.
The battery can ossilate at a different frequency to the car so reduces the vibrations you feel. No exageration I'd say 20% queiter and about 20% less vibration. I takes 30 minutes to do and if you don't like it just put it back- but you'll never change back

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

acoustic , damper , rear , removal , resonance