Warranties - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 11-10-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Falkirk

Member car:

I've been pondering buying a warranty to cover my GTV and just wanted to know if anyone had any experience of this.

Warranty Direct are trying to sell me a "comprehensive" policy which covers wear and tear for £425. Due to the mileage on my car I'd need to pay 30% towards parts and a £50 excess on each claim.

They do a pre-check on your car to "avoid any disputes" about existing faults.

You can take the car to the garage of your choice as long as they are VAT registered.

My Service History is up-to-date so there are no issues there.

I'm thinking that if a labour intensive repair was required a warranty could be well worth the money. What are the chances of an expensive repair being required on a 10 year old Alfa in the next year?

I've heard all the horror stories but would be interested if anyone has any experience of warranties for their GTV.

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member

Member car:

P2 GTV 3.0

I used Warranty Direct for the first 3 or 4 years of owning my GTV (which was 2.5yrs old and 20k miles when I bought it). It cost between £600-£700 per year but paid for itself because of the wear and tear cover so all the things that normally wear out on Alfas in that time were generally covered, plus a few one offs like window regulators, ECU. It was also my daily transport then doing about £12k miles a year. Had a few arguments with them over claims, eg, they wouldn't cover worn out shocks (how is that not wear and tear?) & they were quite tight at times (well, they aren't in business to give out money after all ...). Stopped renewing when mileage got to 60k so I had to pay a %age and also my annual mileage dropped to 4-5K. Having replaced all the major items & doing less miles things aren't wearing out so much and I no longer need it.

£425 is much more affordable but if you are doing low miles and major items are reasonably recently replaced then might not be justifiable. They certainly don't cover everything (eg, clutch). Check the list in the policy documents.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider