TS Front exhaust box removal dilemma... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 05-10-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Hants

Member car:

GT...Golf GT

TS Front exhaust box removal dilemma...

I have recently acquired a used Powerflow system for my car, which is fine except for being rather quieter than I expected.
It is basically a very shiny free flowing copy of the original system retaining the 3 rearmost boxes, it was originally on a V6 and sounds a little muted on the TS now.

I am now considering replacing the remaining small front box immediately behind the cat with a straight through replacement as below, has anyone done this?
I am not after anything daft loud, just a bit deeper than standard and was hoping that getting the gases into the stainless without the front box baffling it may help?

From this to this basically:

Last edited by Alfa Seltzer; 03-07-14 at 21:25.
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Kent
That looks like a de-cat pipe

I thought there was the cat, middle box and the rear section that had 2 boxes. I got rid of the middle box and fitted one of these (very happy with the sound)

Alfa Romeo Shop - Tuning, Styling, Fanartikel und Modellautos - Alfa Spider und Alfa GTV Ragazzon Edelstahl Mittelschalldmpfer Ragazzon Edelstahl Mittelrohr 32085

Does it have 4 boxes plus cat?? Bloody hell, I might get rid of this one as well!!

It seems so, more pocket money to save!!

81 'Sud 1.5 Super - '88 33 1.7 Green Cloverleaf -'92 164 2.0 Twinnie - '94 164 2.0 Twinnie -'99 166 2.5 V6 Sportronic -'00 166 2.5 V6 Manual-'03 156 2.4 JTD Veloce-'97 GTV 2.0 Twinspark

AROC 916 Registrar http://www.aroc-uk.com/ Gtv Rebuild Project Thread http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/motor...w-project.html

(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 05-10-11 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Hants

Member car:

GT...Golf GT

Thats the one, quite pricy for a bit of pipe but not something I can knock up myself (unless in copper which is probably well dodgy!)

I only paid 50 for the powerflow and it is like new still so I don't want to start hacking it about, a one piece system from that little box back with no joints

Last edited by Alfa Seltzer; 05-10-11 at 22:56.
AO Member
County: -
i have a decat powerflow system with only two boxes on it it is much quieter that i thought it would be compared to my old car when on tick over but is loud when im driving along and very loud when i accelerate hard
AO Member
County: Aberdeen

Member car:

I replaced my small silencer with a straight through pipe, didn't notice a lot of sound difference (rest of exhaust standard) It also helped as I was having problems with it hitting on speed humps??
I made mine from a Lotus elise decat pipe. BUT have seen someone on the web sell one of these pipes for about 60??? If I remember site will post a link.
I believe it was one of the standard sports exhaust manufacturers as reference in other threads.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

box , dilemma , exhaust , front , removal