RESULT!!! She lives!
I popped the camlocks onto the cams today - but as you can see from pic, everything A-OK.
Put the top end back together/timing cover/aux drive belt etc. & then set to work on MAF.
Was just going to disconnect MAF as suggested, but as I already had the intake hoses off it only took few mins to pop the MAF out. I separated the sensor from the MAF body & gave it a clean with contact cleaner spray (had few specks of dirt but didn't look too bad).
I also cleaned the throttle body internals (with carb cleaner spray) as it was bit oily/gunky in there around the throttle butterfly.
Put it all back together - but left MAF connector off - & refitted to car with hoses etc.
Cranked engine...it sounded like it wanted to start! Took a while but it eventually caught & fired up! Hallelujah! Of course, it didn't idle too well & engine management light ('injector symbol' on my ph.1 OBD car) was on - as expected with MAF lead disconnected.
So I switched off, reconnected MAF lead & cranked again - fired up straight away!!
Eng. mng. light now off - idle still bit dodgy & top end bit 'tappety' after the semi-strip down & 2 months of non-running, but revving fine & also re-started at 3rd attempt no problem.
So thanks for the MAF idea Foxtrot - its come up trumps!
Will take her out for proper spin tomorrow (after I've washed all the cobwebs'n'dust off!) to see if MAF is still on-its-way-out or if it's been fully redeemed!