New Spider - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 21-09-11 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member
County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

New Spider

Well folks I have just bought a 97 2.0 (I have stated 98 elsewhere) Alfa Spider Lusso.

I have a couple of questions.
On all the cars I viewed they suffered with sticky console residue. I have posted in the 166 section as it seems to affect those. Is this a problem with the Spider and GTV aswell? I hope so as mine has it.

Ferrari 348, F355 and 550's suffer with it. There are remedies of which I am well aware of in these cases.

The other issue was the dash illumination was none existent on two of the cars I saw and one I bought. It was in daylight and I never checked the dimmer setting. A general problem or an idiot buyer ?
Lastly what platform is the GTC/Spider based on? Is it the 166?

Last edited by Wezley; 08-02-13 at 12:20.
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Kent
It's very common for us Ph1 drivers, so dont worry you are not alone!! The solution is to take off the consoles and remove the covering and respray. If you click my rebuild link on my sig you you see what I did but if you do a search, you will find many threads on this. The illumination could just be lamps but that will be solved when you remove the console!!

Its alot of work but worth it, however, if I were you, I would snap this up asap!!

81 'Sud 1.5 Super - '88 33 1.7 Green Cloverleaf -'92 164 2.0 Twinnie - '94 164 2.0 Twinnie -'99 166 2.5 V6 Sportronic -'00 166 2.5 V6 Manual-'03 156 2.4 JTD Veloce-'97 GTV 2.0 Twinspark

AROC 916 Registrar Gtv Rebuild Project Thread

AO Gold Member
County: Carlow
Very nice :evilrock:

I've only just got mine as well. A 2001, same colour though.
Mine hasn't got a sticky console, so I can't help you there..!
Re the dash illumination. I've a couple of bulbs out on mine. I've changed ones on the 166 as well. Must be an Alfa trait. Can't ever remember changing dash bulbs on any other cars I've owned in the past.
Club Member
Membro Medio
Club Member Number: 1265
County: Waikato

Member car:

Gtv V6

Originally Posted by Malcfa View Post
Well folks I have just bought a 97 2.0 (I have stated 98 elsewhere) Alfa Spider Lusso.
That looks FANTASTIC! I've never seen red paint in such good condition on a Spider.

Ironically I've just agreed to buy a similar phase-1 red Spider (I already have a phase-2) - absolute madness, the one I've bought is in rough condition, but it's a straight and original car and the price is right (umm, one-quarter the price of my other Spider ) I'm going to save it from being wrecked. Pictures/thread to follow

Yours gives me inspiration... Meanwhile I've written about sticky plastics at great length in the 166 section. It's difficult stuff to deal with, I find rubbing with meths followed by a scrub with Scotchbrite (in hot soapy water) is the best preparation, then matt black spraypaint. Gloss body colour is also a possibility, might help to lift a dark interior? I'm thinking about matt silver too. My seats (cloth) are stuffed so will be getting a custom re-trim, again perhaps in a light colour.

The GTV/Spider predates the 156/166 - it's more a 145/146 with trick rear suspension. Also a bit of 164 in the mix (original Proteo concept was based on a 164). I had to replace my Spider's rear wheel bearings and found no parts in common with 156 - even brake rotors were slightly different - so parts are a problem here in NZ, but seem to be easy to get in England. I want to get in a free plug for EB Spares at this point; maybe expensive but they really care about their overseas customers, very efficient Genuine parts arrived in a few days.

'00 GTV V6, '08 FIAT 500, shell and parts for a '71 FIAT 850 Coupe
Regional Support North
Is there a meet near you?
County: Lancashire
Its based on the Fiat Tipo platform
AO Silver Member
County: Hertfordshire
Looks very nice and good paintwork.
(Post Link) post #7 of 7 Old 22-09-11 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member
County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Thanks for the comments guys.
AlexGSI have had some experience of this sticky gunge. I found Cillit Bang (not so harsh oven cleaner) and Meths did a rather fine job. I then used a product called Plasti-Dip (sold by Frost), which you spray on. Well rather a friend did that bit for me.

I read your write up after a search and it will be what I follow.
This is my first venture into Alfa I am familiar with Italian metal so know a little about them.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider